CD rom drive won't stop running and isn't detected

Thread: CD rom drive won't stop running and isn't detected

Question CD rom drive won't stop running and isn't detected

Am using Win 98SE. The CD rom drive starts running after rebooting and it won't stop. The CD rom itself then can't be detected, and shows up as a "non-ATAPI compatable device".
    "To seek out new life forms", and promptly whipe them out.

Have you tried booting into DOS with a boot disk loaded with the DOS drivers ?
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Ok a few things to check.

Does it have a blank cdr in the drive?

Edit: Or for that matter a cdr or cdrw that is a burnt cd?

If the bios does not see the cdrom correctly, set the bios to AUTO and if the bios still does not see it correctly check the following.

Is the cable on correctly, the right way round and plugged all the way in?

Are there any bent pins on the drive?

Are the jumpers set correctly?

Did you try another cable or another position on the ide chain?

Let us know what happens and if you don't fix it, what you motherboard make and model is.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>Ok a few things to check.

Does it have a blank cdr in the drive?

Edit: Or for that matter a cdr or cdrw that is a burnt cd?

If the bios does not see the cdrom correctly, set the bios to AUTO and if the bios still does not see it correctly check the following.

Is the cable on correctly, the right way round and plugged all the way in?

Are there any bent pins on the drive?

Are the jumpers set correctly?

Did you try another cable or another position on the ide chain?

Let us know what happens and if you don't fix it, what you motherboard make and model is.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think its all been covered here..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Banned

also to add to this : i had a drive that someone that put a "bad" disk in and had thrown the eye right over , i cured it by removing the top and sliding the eye assy all the way over to where it should have been.

also as mentioned it could very well be a faulty lead/broken pin etc

before attempting this , check the drive out on another machine , if this is the case then try it , the cost of cd-rpoms now is insignificant , and u would prob do an upgrade by purchaceing a dvd rom

FtF

Question

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by sethfp:
    <strong>Am using Win 98SE. The CD rom drive starts running after rebooting and it won't stop. The CD rom itself then can't be detected, and shows up as a "non-ATAPI compatable device".</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">It had been working fine the last 8 months, then started doing this. I havn't changed the drive itself at all.(IDE cables, jumpers, etc. all are the same.) Most of the time the CD rom drive works OK. When rebooting, the drive starts running and won't stop--it also then won't eject. The computer makes it as far as checking for drives(hard drive checks OK). I tried doing auto-detect in BIOS, but reads "non-ATAPI device". If the computer is only restarted, it will keep doing the same thing. There is only one way to stop it--shut off the entire computer. When power is turned back on, everything is fine, like nothing happened.

Ok so you need to isolate whether its the cd-rom being flakey or whether its the rest of your computer.

I am with Freddy here, put the drive in another machine (don't use the ide cable from your machine), if it behaves the same then its the drive. If the cd-rom is 8 months old, it should be still under warranty hopefully.

If it doesn't behave the same you are looking at a number of possibilities, cable gone bad, flakey ide port, flakey power supply of even the bios might be unstable. This sort of thing can happen easily from a powersurge or similar, and can just affect one component.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Question

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NooNoo:
    <strong>Ok so you need to isolate whether its the cd-rom being flakey or whether its the rest of your computer.

I am with Freddy here, put the drive in another machine (don't use the ide cable from your machine), if it behaves the same then its the drive. If the cd-rom is 8 months old, it should be still under warranty hopefully.

If it doesn't behave the same you are looking at a number of possibilities, cable gone bad, flakey ide port, flakey power supply of even the bios might be unstable. This sort of thing can happen easily from a powersurge or similar, and can just affect one component.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have the CD rom drive(52X) and a CD-RW on the same computer. The CD-RW doesn't have the problem that the other drive has. Would switching the 2 drives do as a test? I only have one computer.

Yes, if the cdrw works, then swap positions with it.... alternatively take it to a friends computer or perhaps a computer shop may test it for you.

I would check for loose IDE cables, and loose power supply cables. Be sure there isn't a stray wire that isn't connected to anything.

How are things in the Device Manager, Are there any Red X's after the CDROM? IF so, you might have to remove it and reinstall it using ADD/Remove Hardware.

What programs have you installed recently? What were you doing prior to this happening? It seems unlikely but could it be some screwed up drivers?

As a last resort, you cold remove it from the device manager, restart, and see if your computer searches for it. If so, you solved your problem, if not well, it sounds like an IDE or motherboard problem.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Lightbulb

Another think you might try is pressing CNTL Alt Del, once and softly, to see if there are any programs running in the background that you aren't aware of. It could be that the CDROM is trying to finish something it started.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Another question - Does it do this in SAFE MODE? IF not, then it sounds like a driver in the Windows Startup menu that shouldn't be there.

Check Control panel. Is there something like Disc Detector? If so, is it enabled. If so, disable it.
    Bouncy Bouncy

still un answered.. is there a cd-rom in your drive?

and the safemode would be my second goto(witch was mentioned) in safemode i would remove all drives from device manager...

also what happens if you use a paperclip to eject the drive?

is it possible that some wack drivers got installed for your cd-rom

also check autoexec.bat for anything odd refering to your cd-rom
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society