PCI Serial Controller - missing .inf driver

Thread: PCI Serial Controller - missing .inf driver

Post PCI Serial Controller - missing .inf driver

My mom has a Compaq Presario 5220 (I know please don't tell me - she never listens to me), anyway she's been having problems with slow connections (9600 bps) online. I advised her to get a V.90 modem. She wanted to know how easy it would be to install a new one so I took out her old one to show how easy it would be . I put it back in and restarted her computer. Well, it recognized new hardware and went to install it. Well, it was installing a PCI Serial Controller. What the hell is that?? Obviously, it's in connection with the moden but Compaq is not in the habit of including driver disks with their prepackaged systems. My question is this, if I install a new 56k V.90 modem will this go away or will it still not recognize the modem because this driver (.inf file) is somehow missing (I never deleted anything).If this IS going to be a problem how do I go about finding the driver for this device (I've been to the Compaq site and nothing mentioned a PCI Serial Controller Driver).

Good one for a first post huh, expect more 'cause I am always screwing up mu computers
    Thank you for your time and patience concerning this matter

The PCI Serial Controller IS your modem
    What it's looking for, is the driver
    If you purchase another modem, and it's a PCI, You will still have a PCI Serial Controller listed until you provide it the right driver.
    If you take that old modem out completely and not install another modem, then the PCI Serial Controller will be gone.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

That's what I thought and installing a new modem cured the problem. Thank you for your help
    Thank you for your time and patience concerning this matter