[RESOLVED] 'Ding' Vs 'Click'

Thread: [RESOLVED] 'Ding' Vs 'Click'

RenKo

Resolved [RESOLVED] 'Ding' Vs 'Click'

I've recently noticed that I'm getting a 'click' sound from my tower (presumably the PC speaker) instead of a 'ding' sound from my soundcard/speakers when I do something wrong in Windows (e.g. click the IE main window when the Dial-up box is open).

I have sounds assigned to all the usual events in Control Panel > Sounds (the files I've chosen are all present and valid) and all other sounds (Startup, Shutdown, etc.) seem to be working fine.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Oscar: I'm in for a quarter.
    Murray: Aren't you going to look at your cards first?
    Oscar: What for? I'm gonna bluff anyway.

RenKo

bad_mojo

Question

If you change all windows sounds to none, does it still do it???

RenKo

Just tried it and yes, it does.

------------------

RenKo

bad_mojo

If all sounds are disabled.....try unhooking the PC speaker and see if the click persists.....perhaps it is not the PC speaker at all.....maybe it is the HD clicking and it was just coincidental.

RenKo

More information for you.

I haven't had the chance to try disconnecting the PC speaker yet but I'm now pretty sure the sound isn't coming from there. The PC speaker sound is a 'beep' (e.g. during POST at bootup) and this is a definite 'click'. It doesn't sound like the hard drive, or not like the normal HD noises at least.

The noise is the same noise as when trying to type too many characters in a length-limited text field (e.g. in Access). I've also noticed it in certain games when holding down too many keys at once.

I think I also remember hearing it on the PC at work once. The PC locked up but I could still move the mouse cursor. However moving the mouse produced the same clicking sound.

Confused? I know I am. Hope someone can help.

------------------

RenKo

RenKo

Talking

Success!

Just noticed that within Control Panel > Sounds the 'Default Sound' was missing (not the associated .wav file but the Default Sound entry itself). Explored the registry and found that the registry key for the Default Sound was missing. Added the key, assigned a sound and Hey Presto, I've got my Ding back (so to speak)!

The only thing now is to work out what happened to the original registry key.

Thanks for all your help.

------------------

RenKo