[RESOLVED] Missing Win95 OS files

Thread: [RESOLVED] Missing Win95 OS files

dr-diggs

Question Missing Win95 OS files

Hello-

I am trying to help a friend of mine with their Win 95 OS. (on a system of about the same age) The reason for it's problems could be directly trace to the user, (who deleted a schlew of important files that she didn't know what to do with) but I offered to fix it if possible.

Windows 95 DOES boot up to the desktop. Trying to do more than that is very chancy. Sometimes I've been able to use WIndows Explorer, sometimes Ive been able to open my Computer or the Control Panel to view stuff, usually it just goes to the blue screen with

"a Fatal OE exception at (the same address every time- ) has occured..."

othertimes it will have the white box saying that the application at hand caused *some problem* (I am quite sure it mentioned 'memory' but I'll have to recheck) with kernl386. Whatever app I tried to run is always the one that is said to cause problems with the kernl.

I was able to read the bootlog(through using a different computer's OS to access the drive) and found a few errors relating to a specific missing file.

Is it possible to download missing OS files anywhere on the Internet, or does it just need the WIndows 95 reinstall? I don't have Win 95 so I can't do the reinstall, but if it were a matter of replacing files I could do that. I doubt it's realistic(knowing there are a lot of O/S files) but if it is possible I was hoping someone could help what could be done(with a possible idea on the missing link)

oh yeah: a third error message specifically mentioned a "missing segment." (I should have written them all down first) again I think it was related to kernl386.

I suppose it's questionable whether or not this is worth troubleshooting(especially since the Recycled bin is empty) but I was interested if these kinds of files are available at all on the internet anyway. The problems occur equally in Safe Mode as in normal Win 95. I saw Highmem.sys but I thought the fault could be related to some memory management file or some failure in 'protected mode'. Of course I'm looking for other opinons here though

Cool

Do a search on the web, you may be able to find the files. However Windows uses a lot of them, *.dll, *.vxd *.exe......

The easy way would be to reinstall Windows over itself, this should keep most of the settings and programs installed.

The alternative way is to copy the entire windows directory onto that PC using another "clean" machine as a base.

------------------
    At the end of the day, it's all fundamental.....

sly69

Check the drive for the windows95 cab files, they might be there some where. I've seen them in such dir. as Win95, Options, or even under Windows>Options>win95, I'd check all and any, use another machine to do this.

If you find them boot the machine in to command prompt only, goto the cab files and run setup from there to reinstall. Make sure you install to the same windows dir, NOT windows000 or WIN000, this way they don't lose anything in windows....

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

dr-diggs

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately, there were no cab files on their drive.

I looked through the bootlog though and found the following files had loading failures.

serenum.vxd
    hsflop.pdr
    esdi_506.pdr
    vshare(.vxd)
    rmm.pdr

I was able to get esdi_506 from some German website but it's pretty hard to find the stuff, doing searches through Google etc. Anybody know a place to get this stuff(that would be funny if it were somehow available through Windrivers.) Searches produce lots of sites wheere the files are *mentioned* but few downloadable files. I found sites that had lots of downloads for .dlls but none visible for dxds, pdrs etc.

sly69

Lightbulb

This SITE may be of some help...

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

DJ-Egg

Cool

IOSUBSYS.zip for Win95c
    C:\Windows\System\IOSUBSYS

Hulk

This site may be of some use to you it is called 'dllworld' It has alot of dll and vxd files that might be of some help to you. Short of that, I would recommend buying a new Win95 CD off the internet. They usually go on Ebay for about 20 bucks a pop. Or you could also upgrade from 95 to 98. 98 cd's are around 35 bucks a pop. Upgrading to 98 woud be chancier because you don't know how stable your current operating system is.

Anyway, the url for dll world is:
    http://search.aol.com/redirect.adp?a...2%44%b9%f9%ee% af%74%3c%e1%8d%48%cc%d5%40%b6%00%45%bf%50%58%00%66 %52%13%16%62%1a%8f%21%c0%2f%36%0d%d3%82

If you have any operating system at all you could always reformat and start over. Unless you have some important information that needs saving I would recommend this. It sounds like the system could use a good spring cleaning.

You could always save the information first, and then do the reformat.

------------------
    grrrrr...

MacGyver

Check for two things: a virus, and bad memory.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

try lost and found by powerquest
    http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...ML/000287.html

------------------
    <a href="http://www.georgecarlin.com/" target="_blank"> "we're all amateurs, it's just that some of us are more professional about it than others"</a>
    ----George Carlin