Heya guys - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heya guys

If you have a patch cable and have no link light you may need a crossover cable. You can examine the cable and try to match these pictures.

http://www.atcomservices.com/highlights/makepatch.htm

My cable modem requires a patch cable if I connect it directly to my NIC. When I connect it to my switch it requires a crossover. You prolly need a patch cable.

If you've already tried adding another NIC and it still doesn't work make a tech come out from your cable company. Don't let em tell you everything is your fault. I have a cable modem right now that I can't pull a DHCP address from. It happens regularly. The modem shows that everything is up but the modem also disconnects every 5 minutes and reconnects. Adelphia here sucks, it's down 30% of the time, and I don't care anymore because I had Bellsouth drop in a new line for another dsl line last week.

Bottom line, make them make it work. If they can't, make them show you why you're at fault. If they can't, fire them.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Cable company told me that "they do not support upgrades to computers or operating systems" I sat in silence for nearly a minute trying to digest that one. Easy money though, I will just cancel subscription and call right back and reinstate service, and oh by the way, I need a tech to come install.....lol

cheeseball way around it, but if all else fails might work

Khar

I recently saw a post in another forum from a tech from one of the ISP's describing sowewhat the same problem They could ping the server by Ip and ping sites by name and the ISP could ping them but no browsing on the internet. The only solution they could come up with was a format and reinstall of XP professional.

Excuse me if I go a bit of track here or go over old ground:
    By saying "it's not allowing me to connect to the net" do you mean you cannot recieve any data or just the browser will not connect?

Hav you tried typing in an IP address on the browser i.e.216.167.96.118 [sygate.com]?
    Done an IP config to see if your IP/Subnet/Gateway are being read/set correctly?
    Checked your mail for send/recieve status?

The prevoius mention of incorrect cable connections on your cat5 sounds about right though,as XP wont be able to correct its settings if it cant read them from the server.

By "can't connect" I mean that I can't connect with the browser or outlook either. I haven't tried to ipconfig it yet, but will try that today as well. Havent tried to manually enter anything either. I will now that I have a specific ip addy.....thanks.....heh

Khar

quote:
    Originally posted by Kharissa:
    By "can't connect" I mean that I can't connect with the browser or outlook either. I haven't tried to ipconfig it yet, but will try that today as well. Havent tried to manually enter anything either. I will now that I have a specific ip addy.....thanks.....heh

Khar

Kharissa,

One, I think you are doing just fine on everything. I love your idea of just cancelling service and then reinstating. That might be your best bet.

I do highly recommend not using the onboard NIC (LAN) and disabling it in the BIOS. I would then get a Network Card (since you would be dsiabling the onboard one).

Lastly, I know that when I changed my NIC in my computer, I had to optain a new MAC Address (I believe thats what they called it) for my new card. Appearantly, they assign this number in their system to your cable modem and NIC combination. When I changed NICs, they had to give a new code. Kind of like Win XP's activation thingamig.

Lastly,
    To everyone on the NIC/LAN debate. The onboard network would not be called a NIC because it isnt an actual Card (Network Interface CARD). I am not wanting to start more fire on this part of the thread. Can't we all just get along?
    If its not broke, then upgrade anyways!

Who ever said computers were logical?

Gee, that flame war apparently started because of me, not Kharissa.

Amazing what a slight "mistake" in terminology can do...

BTW, nice idea on cancelling and reinstating your cable service, Kharissa. Kudos!
    "I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison." - WC Fields

Ok ok ok. I'm sorry you guy's. I didn't mean to flame or start a flame war. It wasn't because of any specific user either. I just saw the word "onboard lan" used many times throughout the thread and just couldn't believe what I was reading. I guess I made more of a deal out of it than I should've and I'm sorry. Nobody's perfect. I didn't mean to do that. But really you guy's, LAN (local area network). That's not just a terminology slipup, that's something that imo needs to be pointed out. That's like saying my monitor won't dialup or something. Anyway, no hard feelings ok? Carry on.
    Hello World

With the information I have read and possibly missed I am seeing a possiblity of a couple differnt things.

First off lets hit the basics. What kind of cable modem are you using. I have used 2 so far and both of them have had a connection light on them. If your onboard NIC does not have one look at your modem. Eliminate the possibility of a bad cable by trying another. Especially, if you do not get a connection light on the modem. Don't knock yourself out for something simple.

Next when you are in your network properties check the box that says Show Icon. This wont help your problem but it may give a clue to an issue. It should tell you if you are connected to a network or not.

Try running IPConfig and see what kind of address you get. If it is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 then you are indeed not receiving an address from your modem. I am sure tech support walked you through some troubleshooting which should have included unplugging your modem for up to 5 minutes.

There are some other basics to cover that you have already dont but I am focusing on the hardware side of it now. It could still be configuration like you thought it which case uninstalling Client for Microsoft Networks and TCP/IP and reinstalling may help. I don't really trust anything to do anything for me automatically.

By the way, if it comes down to your hardware being ok you may want to ask a moderator to move this thread to Networking. You may get a better response. Just dont double post as that does not go over well.

good luck and keep us posted when you can.

Talking

No hard feelings WebHawg...it was just amusing to see the "flame war" boil over into a second page yet I didn't even make a comment until now.

I was thouroughly amused...my bad for the terminology slip-up though.
    "I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison." - WC Fields

Hi,

Does the modem dynamically configure your IP address or is it supposed to be static?

Did you release your IP before changing network cards,

Do you need to register the new onboard (NIC) (LAN) MAC address with your ISP??

just something to think about...

All sorts of wonderful things in life.

quote:
    Originally posted by Garak:
    Hi,

Do you need to register the new onboard (NIC) (LAN) MAC address with your ISP??

just something to think about...

DOH!!!! I forgot all about this!! Good call.

Another question I havn't been able to determine by reading the previous posts. What's your network setup like? Are you connected directly to the modem? Do you have a router or a switch or a firewall or a hub inbetween the nic and the modem? It'll make a big difference. Also what's the make/model of your modem?

Since you mentioned gaining an error renewing the DCHP and IP address, I'm going to say that MOST likely you are not getting any sort of connection at all. I agree with Larommi. Check his list of basics, especially checking your cable. Sadly you don't seem to have anysort of connection lightes to help us out any. Also, check your NIC card settings. If you are on a 10mbs network and autocheck is set, the NIC could be trying to force 100 on a 10 network. Not good for conectivity. If you are on a 100 network, it could also be trying to force 10mbs, which could also at times cause issues.

To check this, right click on My Network Places and go to properties. Then click on your Local Area Connection and go to properties yet again. Then click on the configure button next to your adapter. If the wrong adapter is shown, that's your problem. If the correct adapter is shown, click on the configure button, and click on the advanced tab. Find the option (IF you have one) That says Media Type. It could be a variety of names, but should be similar. Change the Value from AutoSense to the approprate. 10baseT HalDuplex will be the slowest option, but will give you the best chance of connectivity if this is the problem. Then click on ok several times and reboot your computer. Hopefully this will help.

Also, don't forget to check your IP settings! If you have the NIC directly connected to the modem, and you are given an ip by your provider, make sure that information is in your settings. If you are not given settings, make sure that Obtain IP settings automatically is selected.

If you are on a LAN with a router, make sure that your IP settings are set accordingly.

Also, make sure your computer name is correct if you are directly hooked to the modem. Some highspeed companies, including most Cable, require you to name your computer approprately to recieve a connection.