[RESOLVED] Partition dillema

Thread: [RESOLVED] Partition dillema

Saber99

Question Partition dillema

My main pc has an 8 gig master HDD unpartitioned, and a 30 gig slave HDD partitioned into 3. The drives are as follows:
    C: 8gig master drive
    D: 10 gig partition (slave)
    E: 10 gig partition (slave)
    F: 10 gig partition (slave)
    G: DVD
    H: CD

I am getting a new 40 gig drive, and will partition it into 5 (5/10/10/10/5); I have a ghost image of the current C: on the slave HDD. If I have the 40 gig installed as master, can I ghost the image onto the 1st 5gig partition, and have it boot as C:, and also allocate the remaining 4 partitions on the 40 gig master as drive letters beyond the current ones (so the software installed on the slavedrive isnt screwed up). Below is what I want to achieve:

C: 5 gig partition (Master)
    D: 10 gig partition (Slave)
    E: 10 gig partition (Slave)
    F: 10 gig partition (Slave)
    G: DVD
    H: CD
    I: 10 gig partition (Master)
    J: 10 gig partition (Master)
    K: 10 gig partition (Master)
    L: 5 gig partition (Master)

Any advise whoud be greatly appreciated here !!!

Regards,

Saber

Andi

Fraid not,basically CDs and DVD`s come last in the list.
    Primary partitions come first [i.e. C] then You get Logical Partitions defined in you Extended partitions [doing this from memmory at 2.30am so forgive any errors].A bit like building 4 walls and putting rooms inside.
    So if you partition drive 1 once you get C and D,E,F,G.Then you partition drive 2 which will be an extended partition [with rooms]H,I,J and lastly the DVD and CD K,L.
    That is unless you have windows 2000 and then you can rename them as is your want.
    Hope this helps

------------------
    Life is always stranger than fiction ..... and then some

[This message has been edited by Andi (edited September 18, 2001).]

at least you can clone partitions to partitions with ghost....

------------------
    <a href="http://www.georgecarlin.com/" target="_blank"> "we're all amateurs; it's just that some of us are more professional about it than others"</a>
    ----George Carlin

GJFowler

I can't see a way to do exactly what you specify, but would this work:

Partition the 40G as , say, 7/11/11/11, these will appear as C:, D:, E:. F:

Ghost or XCOPY the 8G boot drive to the 40G drive's Primary 7G partition.

Likewise the contents of the 3 partitions/logical drives from the 30G to the logical drives on the 40G extended partition. This should preserve the destinations for registry entries etc.

In Device Manager, reserve drive letters G: & H: for the DVD and CD.

If the logical drives on the 30G are all in an extended partition, they will have the lowest priority of any logical drive on a HDD & may be pushed to I:, J: & K:

Does any Tech know for sure if this would be what happens?

If the 30G has a Primary partition, it would appear as D: and it would be necessary to re-partition the drive with only an Extended partition containing the logical drives.

The drive sizes would only be marginally different to what you had planned, and the cluster sizes would be unaffected, as they pivot around 8G, 16G and 32G.

Comments, anyone?

Platypus

------------------
    The platypus, proof God has a sense of humour.

[This message has been edited by GJFowler (edited September 19, 2001).]

Ya_know

What a mess. Do you really need so many partitions?

The only advise I have, remember to only use extended partitions with logical drives on the HDD's that are only data stores. If you create a primary partition on all three they will come up in order, primary drives first, then logical drives. You would be unable to change the drive letters of the harddrives as you could in NT disk admin.

Saber99

Thanks for the info folks - will probably change the details of the partitions that I'll set, and just ghost the images over to set the 40 gig as the master. After that it will just be a case of changing the targets of shortcuts that look to the cd drives.

The reason for all the partitions is that I dont like having large partitions - kinda superrstitious about it.

Again thanks for the advise.

Cheers,

Saber

I have 2 60 gig drives, and a 10 gig, and I also like lots of partitions, with logical names, based on what they contain. (MP3s, HTML, drivers, etc.) Currently I have C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, and hidden N (Linux), with my CD as R (for Reader) and my burner as W (for Writer).
    As long as the names of the drives are logical, I can (using PM) change them at will, and my CD and burner will never change letters (unless I create even more partitions, and go beyond the "R".

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems | [email protected]
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

MacGyver

On my computer I have

X: CDROM
    Y: CDRW
    Z: Internal ZIP 100

They can't be bumped if they are the last three drives on the system!

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.