[RESOLVED] win98 clean install problem..:(

Thread: [RESOLVED] win98 clean install problem..:(

hgunags

win98 clean install problem..:(

I did clean install of win98 with no succeed. Formatted the c: drive and installed from cd (as well as from hard disk) The install freeze at windows98 logo (last step of installation after system restart). No idea what's wrong. Any input are appreciated.

my system:

pentium 66, award bios v.4.50g, 24mb ram, 1.2gb western digital hd (drive D: -- where I put win98 files and where the install program install win98, 200 mb hard disk, microsoft intellipoint mouse, diamond stealth64 VRAM PCI (driver v.106), Media vision MV5000 multimedia kit (using Media vision Pro3d sound card + NEC NCR 501 scsi CDROM atached to sound card)

trance
    Try booting up by step by step confirmation. This Will allow you to see just when and where your system hangs and may give you some insight to what is preventing windows from booting.

You could try doing F8 during boot-up, pick safe-mode, in windows go to device manager (right click my computer, properties)check under each device listing for duplicate or incorrect entries. I have seen like 2 floppy drives listed, or 2 monitors, or duplicate but different named hard drives, sometimes that will cause you to lock up at start-up. Delete any duplicate or incorrect entries. Restart..see what happens.
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

Darren Wilson
    Take the Sound Card & SCSI CD-ROM out and try that. I have had the same problem with Tekram SCSI cards. If you install Win95 first then upgrade it ( remembering to install the latest drivers first in 95 ) this normally cures it.

hgunags
    Thanks guys. I did all of that...using ctrl, step by step confirmation, took off the sound card, plus usig the windows help feature..I can manage to identify the culprit -- DTC 2130S PCI to IDE controller - and get to the password request dialog. I upgraded the driver for the DTC card.
    After the password dialog, windows was displaying new hardware found and showing "DTC 2130s PCI to IDE controlller" and "PCI early non VGA device" items back and forth -- last for 5 minutes or so.
    After that though, I can get to the dekstop with no problem...everything seems to be working normally..it fels faster too..
    Then I checked insode the device manager tab and found out there were a long list of DTC2130 PCI to Ide controller item under the Hard disk controller. All but one has the yellow exclamation mark -- conflicting with the one that doens't have the mark (this one w/ no mark is working properly)
    Any idea to fix that?

Next, I will try to install the sound card (Pro audio 3D) and the CDROM CDR510 (attched to the sound card- scsi). Wish win98 will detect them flawlessly...

thanks again for the info

hg

GMAN
    Hey guy I saw an article in PC Computing that
    described a problem close to this and they describe a line change that turns off PNP for the Video adapter.