Ok whiz kid fix this!

Thread: Ok whiz kid fix this!

Question Ok whiz kid fix this!

My mouse quit working.the hardware wizard says its installed properly but windows cannot open a file that opens a driver to make the mouse work?(code8)do you know how hard it is to surf the net with keyboard only? =*(******* .Trust me i've tried about everything from updating driver to reinsatalling win98se like hardware wizard sugested .and yes its plugged in

first thing to do is boot the computer with a DOS boot disk with mouse suppport.

if it works in DOS boot to safe mode :

open device manager and remove the mouse..
    open regedit - locate the [Enum] Key (HKLM\System\CCS} find your mouse in the devices and delete it.

go to {HKLM\system\CCS\Control\Class) look for the mouse under the "0000", "0001" keys.. (i don't remeber which category has the mouse.. )

if you find it - delete it..

Reboot your computer.. windows should redetect your mouse and reinstall it.

Keep us posted..

Thumbs down

My mouse is still coo coo .do you think i should buy a differnet brand other than microfoft?or maybe even another mouse of the same type maybe mine is just broken

If the mouse works from DOS (as stated above), then it should be fine. If not, then the mouse is shagged and you need a new one. Its probably just past its use by!
    I'm just a little mushroom. always kept in the dark...

does your mouse fork in safemode?

Thumbs up

Yes the mouse works fine in safe mode.By the way that just boggles my mind how it could work just fine in safe mode but when it's in reg windows it wont? go figure .I don't know how to see if it works in dos mode.I plugged my brothers compaq mouse in to see if hardware manager could detect it and it detected my microsoft mouse lol go figure.Could I have a virus? when all this started it was colors/mouse/sound that didnt work one day when i turned on my comp.i've fixed alll but mouse .

leaps

Talking

RE: Mouse problems-Ernie-I, too, had problems w/MS mouse not working with Win 98SE. I, too,"unistalled/re-installed" the mouse several times...finally got so annoyed...finally bought a different brand mouse, a Belkin. Haven't had a lick of problems since(knocking on wood)...and this one doesn't seem to get dirty like the other one-which I had to clean about 3x a week.

If it works in safe mode you might have a resource conflict. I've seen that before.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Originally posted by scutterboy:
    If it works in safe mode you might have a resource conflict. I've seen that before.
    Originally posted by condor:
    first thing to do is boot the computer with a DOS boot disk with mouse suppport.

if it works in DOS boot to safe mode :

open device manager and remove the mouse..
    open regedit - locate the [Enum] Key (HKLM\System\CCS} find your mouse in the devices and delete it.

go to {HKLM\system\CCS\Control\Class) look for the mouse under the "0000", "0001" keys.. (i don't remeber which category has the mouse.. )

if you find it - delete it..

Reboot your computer.. windows should redetect your mouse and reinstall it.

Keep us posted..
    did you try what condor said.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Make sure you have turned off any special themes or cursors. I have seen a corrupted cursor file disable the mouse before.

You could also try plugging the mouse into COM2 (maybe w/ a 9to25 adapter), if you have a com2

Angry

ok i'm getting frustrated now .I don't know how to boot from doss with mouse support.I did remove the microsoft wheel mouse from device manager and reinstalled windows with a mouse that has a usb.windows detected it and the device status says working properly!!! go figure i have no mouse curser still.I have to tab everywhere and its annoying .so im going to try my wheel mouse on my brothers comp to see if it works on his this will tell me if its comp or mouse that has probs.

What type of mouse is it? Com port, PS2 ??

If its a com port the Interupt is probably conflicting with another device. Check the Device Manager and go to each COM port and check the resources tab. There is a box and if it says IRQ conflict get back to us.

LOL have fun using the keyboard to get there!!

maybe its working fine.

Try going to mouse settings and making sure the cursor is an actual pointer.

To check that, try right clicking to see if you get a popup menu.
    Matt

"If you have been tempted into evil, fly from it. It is not falling into the water, but lying in it, that drowns"

3fingersalute

Have you tried renaming the ENUM an letting windows re-detect all the hardware?