code 8 in device status

Thread: code 8 in device status

Exclamation code 8 in device status

device manager: I tried a usb mouse and I get(this device is installed properly) but there is no pointer on my screen ?when I plug the ps2 wheel mouse in i get this device is'nt working properly because windows cannot open a file vmouse.vxd that loads the drivers for this device. (code8) then is says to fix this problem run windows setup with a cd rom disk.Which I have done,only to recieve the same message again.

Could be that the file is there but is corrupt. What brand of mouse is it? MS or Logitech or some other? If MS try reinstalling the IntelliPoint software. Logitech has MouseWare drivers you can download.

Hope this helps!

U_Turn,

This Knowledgr Base article might help:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q125/1/74.asp

for Code 8 errors it suggests:

"......For most cases, the resolution is to reinstall or update the driver. As an alternative, use Device Manager to remove the device and then run the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel. If you continue to receive this error code, contact the hardware's manufacturer about updated drivers......"
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience