Weird shutdown problem + loooong boot times

Thread: Weird shutdown problem + loooong boot times

Red face Weird shutdown problem + loooong boot times

I know about windows shutdown problems when you try to shutdown it locks up and ive fixed it many times before but heres a good one for you.

Windows shutdown works perfectly fine. Nice and fast, however when i try to restart it does the old lockup at a blank screen with a blinking cursor sympton. Note also that windows takes ages to boot. about 2 minutes. (just like when you've got a network card but without actually being connected to a network) If i take the NIC out it boots fine. Ive tried 3 different NIC's (Intel, Netgear and Realtek Chipset) and the same problems occurs

The reason i mention the network problem is that started happening the same time as the restart problem.

I dual boot wih win2000 and that runs fine. System details below

P3 1GHZ
    ASUS CUSL2 (1.006a)
    256mb pc150 ram
    60g hdd

Any ideas?

Hound
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

Unhappy

Originally posted by Hound:
    I know about windows shutdown problems when you try to shutdown it locks up and ive fixed it many times before but heres a good one for you.

Windows shutdown works perfectly fine. Nice and fast, however when i try to restart it does the old lockup at a blank screen with a blinking cursor sympton. Note also that windows takes ages to boot. about 2 minutes. (just like when you've got a network card but without actually being connected to a network) If i take the NIC out it boots fine. Ive tried 3 different NIC's (Intel, Netgear and Realtek Chipset) and the same problems occurs

The reason i mention the network problem is that started happening the same time as the restart problem.

I dual boot wih win2000 and that runs fine. System details below

P3 1GHZ
    ASUS CUSL2 (1.006a)
    256mb pc150 ram
    60g hdd

Any ideas?

Hound

do it like me, I NEVER SHUTDOWN MY PC!(only if the NETWORK gets DOWN, although that is obvious!)

Uh thats not helpful at all.

Im not having a problem with shutting down, im having a problem with restarting. ie, i have to restart win98 to access win2000 but at the moment i have to shutdown win98 and turn the computer back on to boot properly. Or im left with the reset button option when win98 locks up during restart.
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

Is it possible you have a bad network install on your win95/98 partition? I would be curious to see what would happen if you removed all the network info (protocols, drivers, clients, etc.), rebooted to see how your time is, and then do a full reinstall of those same components so that it actually recopies the files from the original locations.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network? If you can give your NIC a static IP address. You can also try removing TCPIP and see if the computer boots faster.

Unhappy

Originally posted by Hound:
    Uh thats not helpful at all.

Im not having a problem with shutting down, im having a problem with restarting. ie, i have to restart win98 to access win2000 but at the moment i have to shutdown win98 and turn the computer back on to boot properly. Or im left with the reset button option when win98 locks up during restart.
    was a try!

Try running scandisk on thorough. Check for bad sectors.
    le blog de goodespeler - bandape.com

Greasey

Exclamation

First things first... Are you running mcafee? This program was known and still is to sometimes cause extremly long boot times... (something about the exe during startup in the autoexec.bat file filling up memory and it not being cleared until windows mem manager kicks in) To resolve, get the latest engine from mcafee, unstall, then install the new version.

Also, do what the other post says, check your nic. if you have it set to dhcp, are you really on a network that uses dhcp? if not, put in a NON-Routable IP address.

Greasey.....