Abit VP6 recovery problems

Thread: Abit VP6 recovery problems

Post Abit VP6 recovery problems

Good day and please give me a hand if I make an idiot of myself here for th e first time. enough groveling. I have an abit vp6, pIII@733mhz x 2, 2.0g ram, 4 30meg maxtor 7200rpm hard disks that were configured with the highpoint for Raid 0 + 1, worked out to one 60meg drive. The other day I came home to find the computer on and at the boot password screen, (house was recently infested with guests). Enter password and error said broken stripe RAID, I think. needless to sat it never booted to win (Win2000 pro) Now there was nothing really important (acually now it cant be). I am trying to reinstall on fresh or wiped disk. I cant get through the first boot disk. Before the boot disk starts I get a message ' Couldn't open the boot partition to check for a signature.' and setup starts, begins loading Machine ID, i think, and then tells me, 'File \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded' error code is 7. Setup can not continue. press any key to continue.' then it reboots. thanks and again please, easy on the new guy.

I'll start under the assumption that you're familiar with disk partitioning. Using the fdisk command, remove the partition from both disks. Then use the command fdisk/mbr on both disks, this removes any information in the master boot record. It appears that that information somehow got corrupted on one or both disks. Re-partition and re-format all drives and install the operating system.
    Sometimes boot floppies also get corrupted; if possible, boot from the CD to install the operating system and create a new boot floppy from the fresh installation.
    Hope this was helpful. Good luck.
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

Fdisk had been tried but maybe I could have tried harder. In Fdisk when you display partition info it tells you 'current drive 2' you cant change to 1. attempts to change drive locations show all four drives but #3 shows no capacity or useage info. I m thinking i should swap the drive out at this point. Is , or how many other steps may I have missed in diagnosis. Tanks for the response.