[RESOLVED] Computer locking up after sleep mode

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer locking up after sleep mode

robfam

Resolved [RESOLVED] Computer locking up after sleep mode

Last week I purchased a new cpu...PentIII866, with 256MBram, 46G IBM hard drive. It was preloaded with Win98. they said Win 98 was more stable than ME. I came home, set monitor to sleep after 15 min, was downloading from net, monitor went into sleep mode, when I moved the mouse, picture was garbled. I returned cpu, they put in a new video card, and reloaded Win98. Last night I was downloading from net...Juno..monitor went into sleep, I moved mouse and cpu was locked up...hard drive made a clicking noise, I had to ctl,alt,del and cold shut down. What would the problem be? Bad hard drive? OR maybe we should put Win ME to support large hard drive? OR???Please Help!!!

AnyKey?

Cool

See if you are running a screen saver and the monitor power saving together. I have seen problems when they both try to load at the save time. Run only a screen saver or only the power saving feature. Hope this helps.

robfam

I only had monitor to go off in 15 minutes, no screen saver. Any other ideas would be DEEPLY appreciated. Thank you.

turn off the hard drive power down in sleep mode.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Hi,

If it were me, (and I use Win98) I would personally get rid of that Monitor Sleep Mode garbage...unless, of course, it is a laptop and you're trying to conserve your battery's power.

Go to Control Panel/Power Management/Power Schemes...I have the main Power Scheme set up for Always On. As for the monitor itself, I have mine set up to turn off monitor after 4 hours and the Hard Drive after 5 hours. As for going into System Standby, I have it set for Never.

If you're worried about burning up the monitor's display, try using a ScreenSaver that kicks in after 5 minutes or so...

WinDoze (any version) has a hard time with waking up all the devices without any errors.

Just a couple of ideas...

Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Also double check that you have the correct monitor configured.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

robfam

Smile

Thank you all for your replies and help! I took the cpu back to the place where I bought it yesterday. They installed a new motherboard, new hard drive, and it still had the problem, so they installed a different brand of video card, and that took care of the problem. For some reason this cpu does not like the ATI. They put two of those in there, and it would do the same thing, but a different brand solved the problem....go figure,ha. thank you again!!

where did you buy this computer again?

what type of MB and which ATI VC did you have ?
    hey its me again!