[RESOLVED] System Resources

Thread: [RESOLVED] System Resources

DATABOY

Resolved [RESOLVED] System Resources

My system resources keep dropping to 50% or less after just a few minutes of web surfing..i only have ZoneAlarm and McAfee virus on tool bar. I installed another 64mb of memory and an additional 20Gig hard drive to no avail. I have to keep restarting to bring sys resources up but once I'm online it drops dramatically...HELP!!!!!!

pga

hardware/OS config????
    without this all i can recommend is a "clean install"

Gary Murray

Before you do a clean install, try this. Start / run / msconfig check out what is loading at startup. You may only see Mcafee and the other program but that may not be what is really loaded into upper memory. You may have alot memory being used for things you don't even need.

If you see alot of stuff loading at startup you can either be choosy or do what I do. I unchecked everything with the exception of systray. All it means when you uncheck these boxes is it will load into uppermemory when you use the program, not at startup. It should also speed up the reboot time of your PC.

Good Luck.

------------------
    "The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask" - Godfrey

bolumenb

Question

I tried the start run msconfig but it comes back with a message that it can't find msconfig.
    What can I do to get it?
    Thanks.

mavrick606

windows 95 does not have a msconfig.exe, is that what you have? if so look in the startup folder in your program files

Wink

In Win95 hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete once to see which programs/app files are running. Since you are losing resources while you surf, see what is running at startup and then see if more programs are loading later. If no new programs are running then close 'em down one at a time at startup. Once you find it you will have to take steps to remove it from the StartUp folder. If it is one you want to run you may be able to set it to use less resources.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

sounds like you are experiencing major mem leaks caused by MCafee. I believe that there is a fix for that on Mcafee's website regardless of which windows ver.
    hey its me again!

Hearnsy

What are your system resources starting at? Who is your ISP. I have seen AOL and MSN Explorer beat up on system resources pretty bad.

------------------
    See you on the water!!

DATABOY

system resources are 75% until I log on to Prodigy DSL then down to 63% and continues down as I surf...forget it if I use my webcam!!!!