System freezs up during installation...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: System freezs up during installation...

Angry System freezs up during installation...

Hi there

My system freezs up during installation.
    It happens when have half of my HDD (total of 2gb, i splited into two, total of 2 HDD each with 1gb). It freeze every other 2-4 seconds for 5-12 seconds long over and over during installation. But when I format the HDD and install 95/98, it fly until the HDD is half used up.

Thanks for all your helps/comments!

No one cares how hard you worked,
    they want result!

Urgefor

Lightbulb

Sounds like a good possibility of a damaged HDD. Run scandisk and have it do a full surface scan. If there are "semi-bad"(for lack of a better term) spots on the platter(s), that will slow down read/write funtions quite noticeably. Hope this helps. Enjoy!!

Thanks Man!
    they want result!

Unhappy

Ammm didn't work!

they want result!

When you did the surface scan, did it fly through all the cluster without slowing down at around half way through did it look like it was going a lot slower? Have seen marginal drives that pass scandisk, but are still not usable. Also would try swapping out ram. And also, what install are you doing where it would be a 500 meg install of windows? Is it half way through the install or what. I am a little confused by "when have half of my HDD" reference. Also, have you tried copying all the files on to your drive? If running it off a cd then your might have a bad cd if it is doing in the same place every time.

This is a job for Spinrite. Wonderful little diagnostic utility. Will hel p you find and work around all kinds of nasty disk problems.

Ok here's the whole story

First My HDD (IBM) was 2gb and then I split it into two HDD 50/50 each 1 gb each for about a year and half from now. In the begining the HDD was fine, then about 5 months ago my HDD suddenly slow down during installation of all kinds of cds (white, blue,gold, green) on app and games.
    so I think it's time for a format to clean out the stuff and did.
    when the HDD was totally clean, installing eather win98/95 was normal and installation of games and apps was normal too (speed).
    Then I start to notic the freez up (freez up every 3-5 seconf for 3-5 second over and over) during installation of app/games when the HDD drop to about 500-300 mb of 1gb, the freez up starts when the initialization process for the installation.

I used norton utilities 3 and win98/95's scandisk to scan the HDD both standard and thorough. when use scandisk "thorough" (about 450mb), the bar just fly (about a minute) to the middle and slow down and take about 15 minutes to finish.
    both NU and Scandisk found no error on the surface of the HDD.
    I try to install the same app both from CD-ROM and HDD and it's about the same. the freez up still happen on HDD installation but didn't last as long on cd-rom but it's still there.

I hope this helps

Thanks to all of U for your time and help

Worldsci
    they want result!

Well after I install the OS, I install all the needed prob and it ends up about 500mb of the HDD at the same day.

And how do U swapp RAM?

Thanks
    they want result!

And when the HDD is about 300mb left, I then delete around 400mb of stuff (almost everything is gone) back to a total of 700mb free and it still freez up too.
    they want result!

I had the same problem and I just fixed it yesterday. Format both parts of the drive and then undo the partition. (Make the drive one drive again with what ever program you split it with) After doing that format the drive again. Then redo the split. (Make the one drive into two again) Then run win95/98 setup and everything should work fine.

It took me a month to figure this out.

------------------

From what I have seen, if the drive slows to a crawl during the surface scan you have a marginal drive. Try to low level format the drive. You can get a util from Maxtors web site called maxllf. If it still does it, I would recomend buying a new drive. As cheap as drives are these days, just use your marginal drive as an excuse to at least tripple your size for around $120 or so.

Hi and thanks for your help

All right I'll kill both brive and split them again and hope it fly again.

And for the Low level format, I don't know man. c my friend did the LL format and it screwed up his HDD, he did it from the CMOS. So I don't think I want to LL format it,
    But thanks for your suggestion

And thanks to all of U people for posting

Worldsci
    they want result!

Hi again every1

A friend of mine told me another solution for the freeze up. C when u install something, there will be a file "_delis" automaticlly load on the system tray (hidden)durng installation.

For some kind of reason, this file sucks up system resource (no matter what speed of your system is P3, P2, p1) during installation.
    This file does not always load on every installation.

The file can be remove during in the installation (after initialization) with out causing any problem by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Delete and a pop up dilog box will appear and just selet it "_delis" if it's loaded and end it.

If any1 know what that file do during installation please post it here

Thanks

------------------

they want result!

could be a bad hard drive, but how much memory do you have. If you do not have much memory - less than 64mb, windows sometimes will make a quite large swap file up to 500mb and when the drive starts to get full, there is not enough space for the swap file so things get quite slow while windows is running around looking for space for the virtual memory. If you have to have your disk split into 2 partitions load just windows on drive C: and all your other programs on D:

Also do not do a low level format from the bios or from a program, you could very well screw up your hard drive. When you format a drive you use the format program that is on your boot or startup disk. First you use fdisk to define or remove partitions, then you format the drive or drives.

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited August 01, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by kgmz (edited August 01, 1999).]

A standard format is not the same as a low level and can leave stuff behind. Anyway I have never had a problem with low leveling (that is not entirly true, one time did low level by mistake and got to spend 10 hours recovering 400 megs of data) a drive and sometimes it may well be the only way to salvage the drive. Such as if the drive has Empire Monkey B and a standard reformat is not going to get rid of it, or you ghost a failing drive in the hopes of getting it before it dies and manage to copy over a bad sector to the new drive. But you do have to have some idea of what you are doing such as making sure the bios reconizes the drive correctly. Also do not like bios side low levelers. Perfer like I mentioned above either llfmax or microscope. It is also a great diag tool. If the drive fails a low level then you either have a bad drive or bad controller. But I do agree that if you are not sure what you are doing then do not low level.

But this is completely off the subject. Let us know what is finally found to be the problem Worldsci.