[RESOLVED] Help with PM60...!!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help with PM60...!!!

naka-pako

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help with PM60...!!!

HP K7 1ghz
    mobo ???
    60gb HD
    Win98

While trying to format a logical partition (D) to FAT32, PM60 froze and was forced to 3finger. Now Win 98 shows a D: in MY Computer but the drive is inaccessible and doesn't show any space. Rebooted to DOS and using PM60 rescue disks, PM60 shows the logical drive and the correct space (approx 52 gb)but everytime I try to format, PM60 freezes. The next thing I could try is to divide the logical partition to several smaller ones and format each one. I'm not quite worried yet but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
    Also tried FDISK but getting incorrect MS-Dos version?....thanks....d

Hi,
    As for the FDISK problem with incorrect MS-DOS version, you must be using a Win98 Startup disk. You can create one on any PC running that version by going to Control Panel/ Add/Remover Programs/ Startup Disk. Once you have a good Startup Disk, boot from it with CD-ROM support...then go through the FDISK routine. I think that I would go with deleting all partitions and starting out fresh. I understand that FDISK may not see the full capacity of that drive so that several diff partitions may be necessary. If you can't FDISK without problems, then something else is happening...such as a possible bad HD, IDE, cable, etc. After creating the partitions via FDISK, you must reboot before formatting...format c:\ sys.
    Hope this helps you out...Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

any chance that that HDD has bad sectors on it?

What if your run the integrity check?
    hey its me again!

naka-pako

It might have bad sectors now since I had to reboot in the middle of the formatting operation. PM60 still shows the space on this unformatted logical partition. Maybe I'll try deleting the partition as DonJ suggests. I'll run an integrity check first though as you suggested. What do I do then if there are bad sectors? And what usually happens if you delete the partition? Won't lose the space, will I???? ...thanks

[This message has been edited by naka-pako (edited December 20, 2000).]

naka-pako

Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to delete the logical partition without incident and have created smaller partitions which I have successfully formatted. Thanks again.....d