[RESOLVED] wierd modem issue when upgrading to 98se, PLEASE help

Thread: [RESOLVED] wierd modem issue when upgrading to 98se, PLEASE help

wierd

Question wierd modem issue when upgrading to 98se, PLEASE help

This problem has been bugging me for months and months, at work, sometimes we get system with win95 and people want win98se put on them
    there is no problem with that
    it upgrades just fine, and everything seems to work
    except (and here is the wierd part): dial up networking, hyperterminal, and many other programs that select a modem the same way DUN does will say there is no modem installed.
    I check the modem control panel, and the modem is there, like its supposed to be
    i check the "more info" on the diagnostics tab, it brings up all the info fine, dno errors
    i uninstall and reinstall the modem, same problems, ive changed modems, no problems
    ive tried pci modems, isa modem, software based modems, hardware based modems, old 14.4 modems, and external modems.
    the system will see the modem just fine, install the drivers, and diagnostics say everything is fine, but dial up networking, hyperterminal, and other things like phone dialer and such will say there is no modem installed
    ive changed com ports too
    ive gone through the registry and deleted all references to modem, any drivers the modem had loaded, and any voicemodem drivrs (just in case)
    ive uninstalled dial up networking and reinstalled it, ive even trid uninstalling the modem and DUN before upgrading, but when i reinstall DUN and the modem after upgrading, it does the same thing
    ive cleaned out the modem driver files from the windows system and inf folders
    if i uninstall windows98, the modem works fine again
    but that doesnt help me
    this only happens when upgrading from win95 to win98se
    any win95 will do it
    but, im not sure if the version of internet explorer makes a difference
    ive done win95 a and b with ie4, and 5 on both win95s, all configurations of that do it

in replying, please remember that ive been working on this for months, so suggestions are welcome, but if you know this problem personally, PLEASE tll me how to fix it, complexity is not an issue, if i have to edit the registry, manually edit the FAT of the hard drive(i hope not) or anything, im willing to do it. but if your suggestion is something simple, ive probably tried it
    but suggest anyway.
    i look forward to any replies, especially if someone knows why it does this

98se uses a different DUN version, and unfortunately it doesn't copy well over top of 95 or 95fe.
    My solution has been to remove com ports and modems from device manager (in safe mode to get rid of the "ghosts" as well, remove DUN through add/remove progs, and restart.
    Reinstall the com ports and modem, then run inetwiz to create a new connection, which reinstalls DUN as well.

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet!
    members.cnx.net/reboot
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

JadedTech

You also might make sure all traces of any previous AOL installs are gone...sometime for fun, install it on a clean system and see how many windows dialup files it overwrites when there is obviously no need. I had a system I had to upgrade from 95b to 98se and it would connect to the ISP ok, but could do nothing else. Any attempts to view a web page, etc would go nowhere. I finally went to microsofts site, and got a list of every single component and version...etc of 95's dialup stack. It took a while, but manually picking out old files and restoring newer versions if needed seemed to work.

wierd

Question

reboot:
    unfortunately, i know ive tried uninstalling DUN in add/remove programs and removing the com ports in safe mode, i have NOT, however,, tried running the inet wizard to reinstall DUN, ive always use add/remove programs to reinstall it after rebooting...
    ill give your method a try

JadedTech:
    this has happened to me on systems without AOL ever having been on them.

wierd

Question

i just had a sudden thought, does anyone think installing the newest version of DUN before upgrading might prevent it from doing that?
    upgrading DUN might move the information properly when win98se upgrade does not

[This message has been edited by wierd (edited April 16, 2000).]