Temp and fan surges on the Asus A7A266?

Thread: Temp and fan surges on the Asus A7A266?

Post Temp and fan surges on the Asus A7A266?

The machine will be sitting there, running along nicely, when suddenly PC Probe starts screaming that the motherboard is running at 230F, then a couple seconds later, drops back to normal. Or it will suddenly claim that the CPU or case fan has dropped to 0 RPM, only to return to normal just a few seconds later. It constantly indicates that one of the fans is running at 0 RPM, even though it is obviously going, and even though the BIOS Hardware Monitor can read its speed correctly.

I've also had one serious overheat episode, where apparently the CPU fan (a CoolerMaster) just stopped dead. When the machine was reset, the fan started and ran normally.

I've heard rumours of power problems with this board. Anyone else have any problems with it?

There were problems with them when they 1st came out. But Asus has corrected many issues with newer bios updates.
    Make sure you have loaded the latest bios on your system, disable any power management in the bios and make sure to have the latest chipset drivers for your mb.
    Caution, there are risks to flashing bioses.

I've got the latest gold BIOS version, 1004. I've heard that there is a 1005 version in beta, but I'm extremely reluctant to try a beta BIOS.

Bad board, maybe?

I just went to the ASUS website.
    Looks like 1005 is official.
    Here's the link-

http://www.asus.com.tw/products/motherboard/bios_socka.html#a7a266

Do you use any power saving modes setup like hiberbation, Hd's shutdown after a while, etc?
    What o/s are you using? What are your system specs besides the ASUS mb???

Wink

I have this board with a AMD t-bird 1.2, 266 bus and so far I like it. I haven't had the problems you are describing. I put an extra case fan in to help with cooling and so far no problem with overheating..good luck...

OK, I've upgraded the BIOS to 1006, and it's STILL doing this. Replace the board?

Thumbs down

I have a Asus P2L97 mainboard and I have all the hardware monitoring functions switched off. I was tired of getting false alarms, like my power supply is delivering 23V of power. Ya right. Where's the smoke? And on system boot it would tell me that the mainboard temp was 45 degrees celsius (over 110 F) Sure.