KX7-333R + XP 2000+ Problems, wierd rebooting

Thread: KX7-333R + XP 2000+ Problems, wierd rebooting

Post KX7-333R + XP 2000+ Problems, wierd rebooting

Hello all, and thanks for any help you maybe able to give. I have a problem I just got a new mobo Abits KX7-333R board and a new AMD XP 2000+, and some PC2700 Samsung 512 MB of DDR ram. When I boot the computer up it finds everything, the amd speed, the memory, and the hard drives and what not. But once it is done scanning for the hard drives on normal IDE channels and then the Hi-Point Tech controller it just reboots and nothing comes back to the screen. I have disabled everything and the only piece of hardware in my computer is my vid card. Do you think my board is messed up or the proccessor or the memory? Thats the only things left in my mind that could be wrong. Thanks again for any help.
    Systems Student
    Meriam Library, CSU Chico
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

could be alot of things, have you manually configured the CPU???

try removing the drives, leaving only the floppy active and booting to a floppy disc,
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Well thats the thing I dont even get the next screen all I get is a blank screen and the sound of my PC rebooting after the drives get checked. IDE Channels Checked -> Hi-Point checked (if enabled) -> Reboot. I dont even see the next screen it just reboots.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/pt_main_back.jsp?pP RODUCT_TYPE=MotherBoard&pMODEL_NAME=KX7-333R

theres already a BIOS update here

im currently reading through the manual, maybe there is something in there,

Have you tried resting your BIOS to defaults? any booting from that..

If you have anything in PCI slot 5 - you may encounter problems as ur HPT controller shares IRQ's with this slot...

The board is properly insulated and the CPU is properly cooled?

Also, do you have any other components ie a spare processor u could try - remember to clear the CMOS of any previous clock settings u have...

hope this helps in some way...

Well the new bios doesnt help any because sadly I cant even get it to boot off any thing (disk, cdrom, floppy, nothing) so the BIOS update is out of the window.

The only card I have in it right now is my old TNT2 AGP card, and yes I have tried the defaults and the fail/safe options but both do not boot to any device they lead to the rebooting problem.

I dont have any spare parts on me at this moment, tomorrow I am going to try to use a friends chip T-Bird 850 and see if my comp boots with that.

The XP 2000+ isnt based off the throughbread core or .13 micron process is it? Because the newest BIOS update fixes that.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

What would be the normal running temp for the XP 2000+? Also I do have some Samsung PC2700 DDR Memory but that seems to count just fine. I am also going to give Abit tech support a call tomorrow.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

According to the manual, it supports the chip, I think its probably down to the board or the chip...

- have you tried disabling the HPT onboard controller?

like i said before, is the cooler fitted correctly?

Yes I have tried to disable the onboard Hi-Point controller card and I also put the hard drives on the local IDE channels but the same thing still happens. Like I said I am going to see if it is the chip tomorrow by going to home and putting my friends AMD T-Bird in and see what it does if it doesnt work and has the same problem I will try another board. This is pissing me off to no end now especially because it is going to be a pain on returning this stuff.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

this may sound stupid, but how powerfull is your PSU?
    if its lower than a 300W then ur bound to have problems, even if its higher, humour me and remove power from ur HDD and CD-Rom... see what happens then...

Well already beat you too it, I the only power I supplied in one test was only to the floppy drive and the motherboard. I am going to talk to Abit support tomorrow morning but I am leaning towards a board problem not a chip problem. Hopefully my friends chip has the same problem so I know it is the board.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

quote:
    Originally posted by sstudent:
    Well already beat you too it, I the only power I supplied in one test was only to the floppy drive and the motherboard. I am going to talk to Abit support tomorrow morning but I am leaning towards a board problem not a chip problem. Hopefully my friends chip has the same problem so I know it is the board.

OK... any updates?

I will know more when I get home, the Abit person told me that the board maybe shorting out and to try it on the box alone, and to check the CMOS jumper, if it is off he said that it will cause some rebooting. So when I get home from work I will check that out. Hopefully it is just the CMOS jumper missing because I really dont want to go fetch another motherboard or chip or even memory. I will know more by 5 o'clock today, and thanks for all your suggestions.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

I am glad to report my problems are over, it turned out to be a problem with a jumper on the motherboard. The CMOS jumper was loose and as the tech guy at Abit said if it was loose or was not connected it would reboot itself, which it did. I replaced the jumper and everything is fine now. Thanks again for all you help.
    Systems Student
    sstudent at csuchico.edu

this looks finished up - any mods wanna close it??