Maxtor 40 Gig and Asus P2-99 - Cant find hard drive???

Thread: Maxtor 40 Gig and Asus P2-99 - Cant find hard drive???

Thumbs down Maxtor 40 Gig and Asus P2-99 - Cant find hard drive???

I"m installing a new hard drive on this mobo... it's a Asus P2-99 and the hard drive is a Maxtor 40 Gig.

I try to go into the bios and auto detect the hard drive, but that doesnt help.... it just sits there. You can't even hit "Esc" to skip the detection. You have to manually turn it off or hit the reset switch. Then I try to manually insert the paremeters but that doesnt help either? Does anyone have the bios update for this board... i can't seem to find it at the Asus website.

Thanks - Ray,
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

Asus bios download page There are two updates for your motherboard, one that fixes your issue, the other fixes cpu issues.

Happy flashing!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

not only that the motherboard might have a limitation on drives over 8 GB. Check the website for that hard drive and it will have instructions for jumpering the drive capacity limit, and setting up an overlay partition.

I can get links for you, if you need them.
    Those who do not know, are lost...

quote:
    Originally posted by The Rifleman:
    not only that the motherboard might have a limitation on drives over 8 GB. Check the website for that hard drive and it will have instructions for jumpering the drive capacity limit, and setting up an overlay partition.

I can get links for you, if you need them.

Umm if you check the link I put up, it clearly states the bios upgrade allows for hard disks over 32 gig... therefore he will not need drive overlay instructions.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Never mind guys... i found the ftp site for asus and i've successfully flashed the bios. Now it reads the hard drive correctly

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]
    "Okay, I'm giving everyone the boot off the servers. I need Maximum Bandwidth!"

Glad to hear it.

same problem

hi.i have the same problem(but my hard is 120 Gb).what is the address of that ftp site??

Welcome to Windrivers hessam

Before I go giving you a particular site for a bios flash, I would like to confirm what motherboard you have. Flashing the bios on a motherboard with the wrong file will get you a non responsive motherboard. Please post your motherboard make, model and revision.

Welcome, Hessam,

As NooNoo has said, If you can confirm the identity of the motherboard we can help you. If you require assistance, please feel free to ask.

Garak.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.