outlook express 5 adds links to all email

Thread: outlook express 5 adds links to all email

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Question outlook express 5 adds links to all email

client has a situation where there is an advertising link showing at the bottom of all email in outlook express 5.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Talking

Are you sure it's Outlook adding it? I know when I get E-mail from someone using a "free" E-mail service there is a small ad added to the end of the mail.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

AnyTwo

Lightbulb

Check the "signature" in the properties of OE5 and see if there is anything in it. This is a fairly common place for script worms to place annoying things like html redirects and such. It seems like the perfect place to add an auto-link to an advertisment.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Red face

he just told me he had one of the "free" internet services software installed, but uninstalled it. it seems to have persisted. will try uninstalling and reinstalling outlook 5, or if that does't work maybe i'll delete his user info and try again. thanks
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Exclamation

Most of the time the registry keeps the keys even when you delete the folders. You may have to find the right key or value and delete it.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

Thumbs up

Yeah, I would pick a word from the phrase that is added to each email that isn't likely to show up in the registry anywhere else, then search the registry for it.

------------------
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.