Corrupted system files.

Thread: Corrupted system files.

Post Corrupted system files.

Ok here is the problem, I ran systems file checker on Win98, had about 8 corrupted files, I let windows extract fresh copys of the files, rebooted the machine and now can't get back into windows, gets to the Win98 logo then reboots, can't get into safe mode either, same thing happens. Any ideas where to go from here?
    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." --Albert Einstein

Cool

First thing I'd try would be run Scandisk at DOS prompt. You can use a boot disk or hit F8 when it says "Starting Windows 98". Choose command prompt. If you have a virus scanner you can run from DOS do that next. If no progress then at boot menu choose (crap I can't remember the text) the one for line by line confirmation. This should tell you which program is causing it to freeze. If you find it you may be able to delete it so you can boot. At least you'll have more info with which to troubleshoot. I believe that at the Windows logo you have booted past the System files but you might also use the DOS command FDISK /MBR with a boot disk to eliminate boot sector viruses and corrupted files. Also, SYS /C: to overwrite boot sector system files just in case.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

Exclamation

When you sys c: make sure you use the correct version or you will be even worse off.
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

When you restored the files in System File Checker you did back the old ones up didn't you?!

If so they will be sitting in c:\windows\helpdesk\sfc. Boot using a bootable floppy, or to the command prompt by holding down the ctrl key when the PC beeps after the POST screen, and copy the files back to their original locations.

Good Luck,

Mike.