[RESOLVED] how to back up outlook mail

Thread: [RESOLVED] how to back up outlook mail

Nu Sk00L

Resolved [RESOLVED] how to back up outlook mail

Hi

I want to back up my inbox and sent items folders in Outlook express which files are the ones that contain this data. How would i go about re-installing the info? Just replace the files?

Thanks

You need to navigate to C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities

there you will find a folder named something like {C4FB7480-F984-11D4-AFAF-EFE902844D1D}

open it and then browse to \Microsoft\Outlook Express

In this folder are the index files (*.dbx) for all your folders, back these up and then copy them back into the appropriate folder when you need to access them.

HOWEVER, a word of warning - i've used this method many times on Clients PC's who needed their email saving and i have to say it doesn't always seem to be that reliable. Outlook Express is freaky enough as it is without you messing with its files! ;-)

The other way to save msgs is to select the message, goto File->Save As and save them out - unfortunately M$ didn't allow us to do a batch save so you have to do each message individually To view them at a later date you simply double click them.

------------------
    ======
    orange
    ======
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

*spy guy*

Thumbs up

This will tell you all you need to know about backing up OE. But as orange stated, sometimes it doesn't always work as planned.
    http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/oebackup1.html

Rockymt4vr

If you have MS Exchange or Outlook, you can export all your folders or just selected folders. It's under File/Export in Outlook Express. Before you do, I think you can also compact them to save space (File/Folders/Compact).

hth

I always export it to a pst file, (cos then you can easily import again, or use the pst in outlook 97/98/2000)

works a treat for me!
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

http://www.ajsystems.com/

If exporting and importing is difficult, use this link above.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

The easiest way to backup your email is by exporting it to Outlook and then exporting it to a pst or csv file.

It might even be worth installing Outlook on your computer for the sole purpose of being able to backup your emails through Outlook. The backup for Outlook Express is very confusing. It sometimes works (for me) and sometimes does not.

Good luck
    Rafi

there is a shareware prog (but as usual cannot find it/remember name) will back up the relevant files, history, favourites etc; and allow easy restore.

AJSystems.com Inc. http://ajsystems.com

just re-read the previous comments by eagle pc to see this is the same link!!
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)