[RESOLVED] HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PROBLEM???? Any ideas?

Thread: [RESOLVED] HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PROBLEM???? Any ideas?

Noctrnl27

Angry HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE PROBLEM???? Any ideas?

Don't know if I have a hardware or software problem...I have a 166mhz pentium,64MB,13.6gig...just upgraded from 16MB & 2.1gig thinking this may be problem but NOT!!! I was running win98 with same probs now. Seems to run a lil' better under 95 & gets worse when redo win98SE...sometimes when starting up I get beeping or tapping right before it gets to desktop & freezes...Ctrl Alt Del doesnt stop the noise...I have to hit reset...usually it reboots back up fine...I have formatted & partitioned & started from scratch but to no avail..before I got the new hardware it happened more often & would frequently start in safe mode..I kept losing my modem in device manager also...before I crashed it,it also wouldnt detect a mouse..I kept reinstalling the modem & mouse but would lose again..not sure if its related...
    Just thought of this also had Fatal errors involving VXD..not sure exactly what it said anymore.It was before I upgraded
    Any Help would be a blessing!!!

[This message has been edited by Noctrnl27 (edited January 11, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Noctrnl27 (edited January 11, 2000).]

You've probably run out of IRQs.
    Go into device mangler, and remove your modem, and all your com ports. Shut down, and restart and go into BIOS setup. If you don't have any devices plugged in the back into the serial ports (external modem?), go into the BIOS setup, and disable com 2, disable com 1 as well, if you're using a PS2 mouse.
    Restart, and reinstall as needed.

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet!
    members.cnx.net/reboot

Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Wuter

I have seen things like this before, usually after an upgrade. after installing devices some drivers are added to autoexec.bat and config.sys and cause problems when windows loads. try to rename and load windows without them.

Noctrnl27

Talking

Just alittle update for anyone who possibly has come across this problem in past now & in future....Turns out my CMOS battery needed to be replaced...a $3.29 part & I went & spent over $200...just thought you might get a chuckle or learn something...

Noctrnl27

well here's another update..the CMOS battery did help hold my settings in BIOS..but then I started getting the clicking sound again & it was hard to get into Windows...I'm checking into Power Supply now..hopefully thats it...otherwise I think it might be the motherboard..I'll keep you posted