Desktop Icons

Thread: Desktop Icons

Post Desktop Icons

When I arrange my desktop icons, they don't stay put. Autoarrange is disabled. When I reboot, the icons occupy the same spaces but switch places. It seems random except My Computer occupies the upper right corner most times. I'm at a dead-end.

If you are using active desktop you need to shut if off, install the latest IE (5.5 SP1) and reboot, turn back on the active desktop and reboot. You should be good to go

If you are not using Active Desktop then skip the stopping and starting part and install IE 5.5 with SP1 and this will fix your problem. The second part of your problem is you are not running 2000 PRO, but I will leave that one alone...hehe
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Didn't have active desktop, did have IE SP1. I believe I got it. I had copied one drive to another because it had recurring problems in VFAT. Ran scandisk and everything else seemed fine. Finally ran Norton Speedisk to defrag and it found that the two VFAT tables didn't match and fixed it. Only problem left is the icon for the Recycle Bin has changed to a plain folder and I can't find any place to change it. I can live with that!

Originally posted by timgottier:
    Didn't have active desktop, did have IE SP1. I believe I got it. I had copied one drive to another because it had recurring problems in VFAT. Ran scandisk and everything else seemed fine. Finally ran Norton Speedisk to defrag and it found that the two VFAT tables didn't match and fixed it. Only problem left is the icon for the Recycle Bin has changed to a plain folder and I can't find any place to change it. I can live with that!
    If I remember from my Win 9x days, VFAT messages usually spelled eminent disaster (format/reload). Some were triggered from viruses. Here is an article from the knowledge base that might shed some light....
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q139/0/63.asp
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

This may be a really dumb suggestion but the desktop icon locations are stored in the Shelliconcache file. Maybe this file is corrupt, if you boot into safe mode this file is deleted and recreated. Its worth a try to boot into safe mode and then boot back into windows and see if it takes care of your problems.

Originally posted by Kenteth420:
    This may be a really dumb suggestion but the desktop icon locations are stored in the Shelliconcache file. Maybe this file is corrupt, if you boot into safe mode this file is deleted and recreated. Its worth a try to boot into safe mode and then boot back into windows and see if it takes care of your problems.
    Or, even quicker, just delete this file and reboot...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."