[RESOLVED] black dos screen flashes...

Thread: [RESOLVED] black dos screen flashes...

mailmom

Post black dos screen flashes...

Has anyone had this problem? I don't have the foggiest idea why, but before practically every function a black dos screen flashes, so briefly that you can't read it and then comp. returns to whatever it was about to do. Thanks in advance!

So if you click on an icon a black screen flashes?

I would check for a virus. Make sure your .exe files were not renamed.

------------------

I think it is time to open this!!

mailmom

Wink

No, it's not when hitting an icon, but it could be when I'm reading something and it flashes on for a second and then is gone. Also, am using an antivirus.

MacGyver

You might be using an antivirus program, but when was the last time you downloaded an update for it? You need to do this or it won't be able to detect new viruses. This certainly sounds like a virus, make sure you update your AV software and do another scan.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

Votan

Some windows applications run under dos and this is what you are seeing. These could be configuration .exe files, or TSR. Normally they should not run in the middle of a session, such as reading or doing something.

It seems this is what you are experiencign. This suggests that it could be a virus, or a dirty intrusive coockie, or a spyware that runs such a file unexpectedly. An antivirus should do, an antispyware would be another good thing, such as Ad-Aware of Lavasoft.

mailmom

It hadn't been very long since doing this but to be safe I did it again just now-the update-and then another scan-said no virus.???

mailmom

Question

I also use adaware.

Votan

Try to delete all coockies from temporary internet files folder. That may not necessarily solve the problem, it narrows the search for the cause.

By the way, when you updated your virus database and your As-Aware data base.

dlagace

What version of Direct X do you have you could try updating to a newer version.

------------------
    "What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge dLagace=DANIMAL

mailmom

Question

Well, I'm still at a loss-I've deleted temp. internet files and got the latest directx and everything else is up to date...anynore ideas?

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by mailmom:
    Well, I'm still at a loss-I've deleted temp. internet files and got the latest directx and everything else is up to date...anynore ideas?</font>

control alt delete and see what is running in the background. If you are running 98 try running MS config and turn everything off in your startup and see if it still does it.

------------------

I think it is time to open this!!

Votan

It happens when you are reading something. OK. Is that when you are online or it does happen even if you are not connected? Does it happen when you are any application or some specific ones?

mailmom

Smile

This would happen on or off line. I have disabled most everything and now it has stopped doing it. So what does this mean?

mailmom

Cool

Thanks to everyone! I guess I must have had to much running at startup. Anyway I'm running now with much less and the problem seems to have resolved. Again..thanks a bunch.