[RESOLVED] salvaging drivers from a machine

Thread: [RESOLVED] salvaging drivers from a machine

scoootr

Question salvaging drivers from a machine

Is it possible to salvage existing drivers from a win9x box, for use after re-formatting? If so, how would I go about it?
    We are trying to develop a new process for re-doing machines at work, and would like to avoid having to run down drivers from disks or the network.
    If we could preserve the drivers on the machine prior to format, then re-install them after loading the o/s, that would be great.

Ya_know

I don't know if that option exists, if it does, I would be happy to try it. I know McAfee has some app that can package other apps, and allow you to reinstall them without the original CD’s, but I don’t know of a way to do this with drivers.

What you could do is catalog your PC's by brand/model, and have an ongoing project where all drivers are downloaded, and stored. Periodically, once a quarter, check the sites for updates. Keep them in a secure location on the Network, (I know you asked to avoid network and disks) that only your admins know how to access. It really isn't that hard, unless all of your PC's are completely clones. I enjoy going to Dell, Gateway, HP, Compaq, and countless others to get the very specific drivers for several different OS's. I don't like having to crack into a case, looking at each component and scouring the web for a clue. But then that is why we have WinDrivers. Sites like this one really take the complexity out of this type of project, and in essence are equivalent to such a project.

If the catalog procedures, and web sites are documented well, you could get anyone to do it. I always start with the new-bees. Lets them get a feel for locating drivers, and how invaluable vender support really can be, once you know how to use them.

------------------

cccherbal

Never fear! Driver-O-Rama is here! Actually that's the name of the disk that we use at my work. It's full to the brim of common drivers, updates, and patches for the machines we work on. every now and then we make a new one from the archive on our server we keep of everything we download like drivers.

Your other questions is an interesting one. Most or probably all of the drivers in win9x are in the C:\windows\system and C:\windows\system\VMM32 and C:\windows\system\IOSUBSYS folders. This usually works unless they are corrupted (hence the possible reason for your re-load of windows) or unless the device needs installed software also to run.

------------------
    if(bagOfHammers == yourIQ)
    cout<<"You're an Idiot";

Don't forget the c:\windows\inf (and subfolders) as well.

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems | [email protected]
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

And of course windows system32!

MacGyver

There is a way to salvage drivers from a machine, but it's a manual process. First, use Find to do an advanced search in C:\windows\inf for any file containing the name of the device you're trying to get the drivers for. Then open the INF file in Notepad and there will be a list of files required by that device. They will usually be strewn about the Windows directory and subdirectories, you can use Find to get them all. Then copy the INF file and all the other files into one spot. That package should be a complete set of drivers. I did this successfully on a friend's machine since downloading the Voodoo2 drivers would have taken 2 hours on his slow modem.

Alternatively, if you're doing this on a mass scale, it's better to reinstall Windows using this procedure:

[list=1][*]Boot to safe mode command prompt only[*]Copy move.exe from c:\windows\command to the root directory[*]Rename win.com to win.old in c:\windows[*]Rename C:\windows to c:\winold using the move.exe command[*]Rename c:\progra~1 to c:\oldprogs[/list=a]

The beauty of doing this vs formating your entire drive is that you can still reinstall Windows, while keeping all the files of your old Windows install. Then if you find you need a driver, the INF file and associated files are still there to pick through. Then when you're sure you don't need the old stuff anymore, you can delete it. It's not necessary to format your drive to reinstall Windows, just move the old Windows install to pave the way for a new install.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.