[RESOLVED] OVERHEATING BY ADDING MEMORY
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] OVERHEATING BY ADDING MEMORY

DATABOY

Cool OVERHEATING BY ADDING MEMORY

Hi I have originally 64mb ram and added 64mb ram last year...now I bought 128mb ram (which I know my pc can handle)..but people tell me I need another fan due to the excessive heat from three ram slots being used....true of false? And how to install another fan in there? Thanx

StevePorter

Cool

Ignore your computer challenged friends...

You won't have any trouble with overheating by adding another stick of RAM. However, you might have trouble getting your motherboard to recognize the last 128MB stick (some are picky about RAM order). If so, try swapping the 128MB stick into the first position, followed by the two 64MB sticks. Enjoy...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster on deep fat fry...

DATABOY

Cool

Thanx for the speedy reply...I'll try swapping them.......

dlagace

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by DATABOY:
    ..but people tell me I need another fan due to the excessive heat from three ram slots being used....true of false? And how to install another fan in there? Thanx </font>

I have never heard anyone say anything like that before. Ram doesn't over heat.
    That is the craziest thing yet. let those peole know that they are dead wrong.

------------------

"What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge

dLagace=DANIMAL

pakprotector

I think Databoy should make a post to our previous thread this summer http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...ML/001104.html .
    It would be an excellent addition!

------------------
    Peritissimos semper praevidere possumus, rudi autem periculosi sunt (Professionals are predictable, it is the amateurs who are dangerous)

Smile

I would tend to agree with the feedback youve gotten so far. RAM produces "some" heat, and only acts to increase the BOX ambient temperature. RAMs not exactly a Heat Sink, or Heat pump, acting to remove heat.
    Unless your an "on the edge" PC abuser with max overclocking on everything you ought not have any problems. That is to say..If your not on the "bleeding" edge of temperature, then the advice you got from friends is incorrect.

If you suspect heat....leave your cover off as an experiment.

DATABOY

Unhappy

ok guys....then if i take it all off won't the dust get to everything and i'll have to buy a case of dust blaster???

dlagace

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by DATABOY:
    ok guys....then if i take it all off won't the dust get to everything and i'll have to buy a case of dust blaster??? </font>

Some people has towers that have never been open before and are just caked with dust.
    buy a can of compressed air would be for really dirty comps, just use a little air from your liungs to blow out some dust.

case on or off you will still get dust.

Are you having any PC problems as we speak?

with the Ram of course.

------------------

God Is My Judge

dLagace=DANIMAL

DATABOY

no....thanks...i did a registry clean up and my prior error problems seem to have left....anyway i did not install the extra ram just yet but will tommorow......

dlagace

no....thanks...i did a registry clean up and my prior error problems seem to have left....anyway i did not install the extra ram just yet but will tommorow......</font>
    I am sure everyone here will agree when I say go ahead and install the Ram.

------------------

God Is My Judge

dLagace=DANIMAL

PSJ

Hello Everyone, I would also take the advice of (StevePorter) always put the largest RAM stick into the first slot. PSJ

StevePorter

Red face

I should add that when memory prices dropped significantly awhile back I bought a couple sticks of 128MB RAM for my ASUS P2B-D motherboard to add to the single 256MB stick that I already had installed. No matter what order I tried, the motherboard would only recognize 256MB of RAM. I finally swapped the 256MB RAM stick with a couple 128MB RAM sticks in my wife's computer and the sucker finally saw the 512MB installed. Before anybody comments, they were all the same flavor (configuration and speed). Go figure...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster on deep fat fry...

kingtbone

The only thing to really make sure of is that you punch these friends of yours and never listen to them again

------------------
    Posts look pretty stupid without the signature, so here it is.

Darren Wilson

Although I will go with what the others have actually stated so far, but Memory can generate a hell of a lot of heat in some flavours. Why do you think there are heatsinks on the memory chips on GF3 cards, and also on some flavours of RDRAM & High end DDR SDRAM. If you are maxing out on memory which has these heatsinks on, then yes, you could actually run a risk of overheating, especially if you are running your box already with poor air flow circulation. Also if you are running a system in the current trend of fitting as much gear in the smallest case possible, the airflow is not the best and with the heat generated by todays CPU's & other high wattage components, it can get worse. You would be surprised how much heat a Athlon, CDRW, CDR, & a 7200rpm HDD can give off in a M-ATX case!!! Especially as there isn't normally a lot of room towards the rear of the case to place an exhaust fan, and generally only just enough room to install a front chassis fan.

So in theory your friends assumptions could actually be held true, but in general it isn't needed.

------------------
    FINALLY, Rocco HAS COME BACK to Win-Driverssssss......
    Let the Boobies hit the floor

Hulk

Are you sure you're using the right kind of RAM? Also, is it installed correctly?

I had a 'computer guru' tell tell me to buy 100mhz RAM when my computer was made for 55mhz. The result was over heated motherboard. It wasn't till I was pointed inthe right direction that I figured it out - 6 months later. I found out later it was called 'overclocking' and it was a bad idea.

The other thing that could cause overheating is improperly installed RAM. If you open the case and the ram chip is hot to the touch, then it is probably improperly installed. Make sure both top and bottom latches are secured.

------------------
    grrrrr...