[RESOLVED] Application errors or network problem?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Application errors or network problem?

acord

Application errors or network problem?

This is a long post but I believe the entire history may be helpful.

I have a problem at one of my customer's site. They have two (2) Pentium II @ 266 computers that are running under a Windows 95 Peer-to-peer network. Both system run Approach 97 and access data off of one computer. My customer complains that any Lotus application, whether Wordpro or Approach, will unexpectedly "close down" on them. I have never witnessed this on any service call. I cannot get any more information from the customer as they are neophite computer users and are content to stay that way.

This problems surfaced after two (2) months of use.

I reinstalled SmartSuite but the problem resurfaced.

Next, I thought that these errors were caused by using Artisoft Lantastic v7.0. I dumped Lantastic and removed all evidence of it from the Resigtry of both computers. This seemed to help for approximately two (2) weeks. The system started giving unexplained "blue screens of death"; I replaced the video cards. This took care of that problem but the Lotus applications still "close down".

I have installed all official patches form Lotus's website. I can take copies of the database and Approach files and run them on other computers (Pentiums) and cannot duplicate the error.

The main application is Approach and I run all databases and .apr's from the server. Each machine has its own copy of Approach, I keep the .apr's on the server for consistancy. I am the only one that can make any changes to it, no Users are not allowed to do any design work at all.

Hardware on this system is all generic, no name brand machines. All network boards are 10 meg ethernet (no names -- RealTek and Winbond, about $15.00 each), using a generic hub. No network errors are shoing up with any network diagniostic tools.

I have never witnessed this phenomenon, the"shutting down" or "closing", so I am going on my customer's word. They do not describe it as Windows resetting; they describe it as any Lotus program exiting.

I do not thing that is ia a macro since I would have thought that it would be repeatable on another machine.

As was suggested by another Tech support board, I implemented time syncing.

The network only has one printer, an HP 6p, attached to the Host.

I wrote the custom Approach application. It does make use of joins but does not export any records nor did I create any temporary files.

No scheduled tasks are executed. In general, no other programs are in use.

It was pointed out that if users have different access privledges, this could cause problems when sharing APR's. In fact any variations in user access or functions can cause problems if sharing the APR's. I had the users sign on with the same security level from a cold start; the problem still exists.

It appears to be a non-consistent error as the dreaded beast does not raise its ugly head on the same screen, form, report, etc.

This office has been drugged into the 20th Centruy kicking and screaming. They had one computer in their office and all I can determine that they used it for was to play solitaire. They recognized that they were in dire need of modernization and contracted with me to perform these services. What a mistake on my part!!!!

they had no idea of what proper record keeping was nor how things should be implemented. All they knew was that the computer was the magic answer. No one there has experience with computers other than using AOL and they have no desire to learn anything. They will not follow the user manuals that I wrote for them.

One of the biggest problems is that they will not read me the error messages that appear, if any appear, Likewise, if the computer is not operating fast enought to suit them, they will do a hard restart! I cannot get them to break this habit.

As mentioned before, I have loaded various diagnositc programs (Dr. Watson, Crash Minder, etc.) to further identify the problem, all to no avail.

Strickly speaking, they share only the printer and the .dbf files. Each user does have a copy of the .ARP files.

I have replaced the network cards and have looked at the network traffic. After watching for over 20 minutes of "normal" work, the system had not lost a packet.

I had both users logon with the same security and they commented that poerformance was actually worse!

I will swap Client/server to see if that helps. I guess my next step should be to change out the network cards with name-brand NICs (?).

How can I determine if it truly is a NIC since no packets are being lost?

Any other ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated as user frustion is only matched by my frustration. Considering all of the end-user support that I have had to provide and these complications, I have lost a considerable amount of money on this deal.

Steve Zap
    Sounds to me like the all-to-common user error.

I know a lot of Lotus programs have the "feature" where if you right-double-click it will close your current window.

Also, does your database use many "Alt" commands ?

I am thinking they may be using the alt+something combination and it is either minimizing, closing, or doing otherwise to their current application.

I know my suggestions sound strange, but I used to fall into this trap all the time myself of thinking TOO technically for problems like this and forgetting that the users are the most common problems with PCs today.

If my suggestions do not show improvement, at least take the premise of them to mind... Users are not all that smart (from my experience at least) and can make even the stupidest things sound like major system problems.

Think like a user, just don't become one... it will solve 70% of your clients' promlems

-Steve Zap

I agree with Steve. Don't go and get a bunch of new hardware for a (l)user that can't be bothered learning how to run an app properly.
    If the problem can't be duplicated, and they won't at least tell you what the error message is, or let you see the log before they hard boot...ad infinitum...the user is the problem here. Drag them (kicking and screaming if need be) into the computer age, and get them to learn and respect the application environment they are using.
    Cheers, Jim
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by acord
    This is a long post but I believe the entire history may be helpful.

I have a problem at one of my customer's site. They have two (2) Pentium II @ 266 computers that are running under a Windows 95 Peer-to-peer network. Both system run Approach 97 and access data off of one computer. My customer complains that any Lotus application, whether Wordpro or Approach, will unexpectedly "close down" on them. I have never witnessed this on any service call. I cannot get any more information from the customer as they are neophite computer users and are content to stay that way.

This problems surfaced after two (2) months of use.

I reinstalled SmartSuite but the problem resurfaced.

Next, I thought that these errors were caused by using Artisoft Lantastic v7.0. I dumped Lantastic and removed all evidence of it from the Resigtry of both computers. This seemed to help for approximately two (2) weeks. The system started giving unexplained "blue screens of death"; I replaced the video cards. This took care of that problem but the Lotus applications still "close down".

I have installed all official patches form Lotus's website. I can take copies of the database and Approach files and run them on other computers (Pentiums) and cannot duplicate the error.

The main application is Approach and I run all databases and .apr's from the server. Each machine has its own copy of Approach, I keep the .apr's on the server for consistancy. I am the only one that can make any changes to it, no Users are not allowed to do any design work at all.

Hardware on this system is all generic, no name brand machines. All network boards are 10 meg ethernet (no names -- RealTek and Winbond, about $15.00 each), using a generic hub. No network errors are shoing up with any network diagniostic tools.

I have never witnessed this phenomenon, the"shutting down" or "closing", so I am going on my customer's word. They do not describe it as Windows resetting; they describe it as any Lotus program exiting.

I do not thing that is ia a macro since I would have thought that it would be repeatable on another machine.

As was suggested by another Tech support board, I implemented time syncing.

The network only has one printer, an HP 6p, attached to the Host.

I wrote the custom Approach application. It does make use of joins but does not export any records nor did I create any temporary files.

No scheduled tasks are executed. In general, no other programs are in use.

It was pointed out that if users have different access privledges, this could cause problems when sharing APR's. In fact any variations in user access or functions can cause problems if sharing the APR's. I had the users sign on with the same security level from a cold start; the problem still exists.

It appears to be a non-consistent error as the dreaded beast does not raise its ugly head on the same screen, form, report, etc.

This office has been drugged into the 20th Centruy kicking and screaming. They had one computer in their office and all I can determine that they used it for was to play solitaire. They recognized that they were in dire need of modernization and contracted with me to perform these services. What a mistake on my part!!!!

they had no idea of what proper record keeping was nor how things should be implemented. All they knew was that the computer was the magic answer. No one there has experience with computers other than using AOL and they have no desire to learn anything. They will not follow the user manuals that I wrote for them.

One of the biggest problems is that they will not read me the error messages that appear, if any appear, Likewise, if the computer is not operating fast enought to suit them, they will do a hard restart! I cannot get them to break this habit.

As mentioned before, I have loaded various diagnositc programs (Dr. Watson, Crash Minder, etc.) to further identify the problem, all to no avail.

Strickly speaking, they share only the printer and the .dbf files. Each user does have a copy of the .ARP files.

I have replaced the network cards and have looked at the network traffic. After watching for over 20 minutes of "normal" work, the system had not lost a packet.

I had both users logon with the same security and they commented that poerformance was actually worse!

I will swap Client/server to see if that helps. I guess my next step should be to change out the network cards with name-brand NICs (?).

How can I determine if it truly is a NIC since no packets are being lost?

Any other ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated as user frustion is only matched by my frustration. Considering all of the end-user support that I have had to provide and these complications, I have lost a considerable amount of money on this deal.

i hope u got your problem sorted