SYS Requirements for 95 & 98

Thread: SYS Requirements for 95 & 98

Post SYS Requirements for 95 & 98

Although I am very aware of what will and will not work for the 2 OS's .I wanted the opions of some others as to the comfortable requirements to run these OS's and also ME(BLAH).2000 PRO & server. The reason being is because my boss sells the ideas to customers.Case 1:
    pentium1 15Mhz, 32 meg(16x2 simm),8.4 gig maxtor.The customer has the upgrade disk for 98 and wants that installed.I think not but I am not the BOSS
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

First, did you mean Pentium I 150 Mhz?

Min sys requirements for win98 from my experience is a Pentium I 166 or higher. I have seen people run it on machines as slow as 486s, but they were almost unusable because of the fact they were so slow. Also, win98 requires more RAM for optimal performance than win95. A minimum of 64 megs is recommended for optimal performance. You will crawl on 32 megs.

Unless that customer needs win98 for USB devices, I'd stick with win95 on that machine . I also would recommend that customer upgrade his RAM to 64 megs minimum so his machine won't slow down due to swapping.

As for min requirements for win95, that depends on what version.

Win95A(Any before Win95B/OSR2): any 486DX machine with a minimum of 16 megs of RAM.

Win95B and higher: A minimum of a 486dx2/66 with 32 megs of RAM or better is recommended for a usable configuration(You can run it on 16 but it will use hard disk for swap space slowing you down a bit).

Though this is the ultimately the customer's decision, I think the customer is bracing for a slowdown on his PC if he goes to win98...and if he uses the upgrade version...setting himself up for more stability problems...
    Retro-Computing: Not for the faint-of-heart.

Unhappy

Originally posted by TECH:
    Although I am very aware of what will and will not work for the 2 OS's .I wanted the opions of some others as to the comfortable requirements to run these OS's and also ME(BLAH).2000 PRO & server. The reason being is because my boss sells the ideas to customers.Case 1:
    pentium1 15Mhz, 32 meg(16x2 simm),8.4 gig maxtor.The customer has the upgrade disk for 98 and wants that installed.I think not but I am not the BOSS
    the Specifications are good (Pentium 150Mhz 8.4GB except for the RAM!
    you MUST have at least 64MB for Win98 or your pc will become a TURTLE!

Yes, I agree totally and that is why I will tell my boss he is dope today.LOL.Yes a P1 -150. It is now installed and is working but did bump up the RAM.They always run fast on a fresh install,just wait until he loads stuff on it and BAM,here comes the lag!Thanks everybody.
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

A long time ago I used to have a 486 25mhz pentium processor and 8mb ram with a 120 mb hard drive. I put win95 on it and it ran fine. Of course I compressed my hard drive but I was still able to get on the net. It did suck as a whole because of the capabilites It lacked. I think your customer could definantly upgrade if they wanted to . it wouldnt hurt to upgrade the ram to at least 32mb thoug.
    le blog de goodespeler - bandape.com

Talking

Originally posted by goodespeler:
    A long time ago I used to have a 486 25mhz pentium processor and 8mb ram with a 120 mb hard drive. I put win95 on it and it ran fine. Of course I compressed my hard drive but I was still able to get on the net. It did suck as a whole because of the capabilites It lacked.
    Hey, dude,I've never heard yet of 486 25Mhz Pentium processor.. May be You're mean Pentium overdrive processor?
    Few year ago I also sucsessfuly installed
    Win95A on ...40 Mb with MS Office 7.0 for Win95 (Word & Excel in minimal config)...
    It was crazy action,LOL. It was done for joke,of course

About the problem...
    You can overclock 150Mhz CPU (hope it's Intel) to 166Mhz using higher FSB without problem. 32Mb should be enough for Windows 98 itself,but definately isn't enough,if You're running Photoshop or Corel Draw.
    Win98SE requires more RAM.
    Fast HDD also very important thing (8Gig should be fast enough,I think).
    Good luck!

it was actually a 486 sx 25 mhz thank you very much...
    le blog de goodespeler - bandape.com

Arrow

If you are in a "Install 98 because I said so" situation then I can offer a few suggestions...1)delete/install new partitions sizing to 2GB areas...2)Make your formating to FAT32s...3)Install the minimum of Win98 the user needs...4)Put this line in their System.ini file in the [386Enh]section ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

I've got Win95b running on an IBM Thinkpad 750c (486 33MHz with 36Mb RAM) using a compressed drive.

It IS slow, but what can you expect from 33MHz?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

As Ruslan mentioned the hdd speed is important. RAM as well. 32 mb is struggling but 48mb seems to run ok. I think it's more important that the processor have mmx capabilty than the actual speed.

Decent hard drive and 48 mb ram with p133 processor in win98 doesn't do to badly with word processing and other office apps but when it comes to using directx related apps an mmx processor makes a big difference.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Originally posted by Jauja:
    the Specifications are good (Pentium 150Mhz 8.4GB except for the RAM!
    you MUST have at least 64MB for Win98 or your pc will become a TURTLE!
    ditto !