Win 98 and faxing - how?

Thread: Win 98 and faxing - how?

Post Win 98 and faxing - how?

OK. This should be simple. How do you setup Windows 98 to be able to fax? Can someone give me a short tutorial or a web site that tells how? Windows help tells me nothing. My send to menu does not have the fax option in it.

Where in Control Panel do you find the fax options? I cannot find them anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Al
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

NSTALLATION
    ============

WMS.EXE

Locate WMS.EXE on the Windows 98 CD ROM in Tools\OldWin95\Messaging directory. Launch the executable by double clicking the file or selecting the file and hitting Enter. Follow the prompts provided by the install. If prompted to reboot when setup is completed, select OK to allow setup to reboot and finalize settings. Once setup is finalized, first time users will need to create a profile. You can create a new profile by double clicking the Inbox Icon on the Desktop or selecting the Inbox Icon on the Desktop and hitting Enter. Follow the Inbox Setup Wizard instructions.

This file installs Windows Messaging and Microsoft Mail Postoffice, also commonly referred to as a Workgroup Postoffice. Windows Messaging is a Full MAPI Client. WMS.EXE is provided for Microsoft Technical Support (MTS), or Windows 95, OSR2 and OSR2.5 upgrade users to repair pre-existing Windows 95 Microsoft Exchange, OSR2 and OSR2.5 Windows Messaging clients and Microsoft Mail Postoffice if they become corrupted. ("Pre-existing" requires that Microsoft Exchange or Windows Messaging and Microsoft Mail Postoffice is fully functional prior to upgrading to Windows 98.) If Microsoft Exchange or Windows Messaging files become corrupted, this will install updated versions of those files. WMS.EXE will add an Inbox Icon to the desktop as well as a Mail Icon and a Microsoft Mail Postoffice Icon to Control Panel if one does not already exist. If At Work Fax was configured in Windows For Workgroups Microsoft Mail prior to upgrading to Windows 98, this file will remove the At Work Fax functionality in Microsoft Mail and remove the At Work Fax Icon in Control Panel. The Inbox Icon on the Desktop will open to Windows Messaging once a profile has been created. The system must be able to access a Workgroup Postoffice Account in order to create a profile.

WARNING: This file is an updated version of Windows Messaging. However, it does not contain any additional updates for Microsoft Mail Postoffice. This file does not contain any feature changes to Microsoft Windows Messaging or Microsoft Mail Postoffice. All known issues regarding Microsoft Windows Messaging and Microsoft Mail Postoffice will be applicable to this update. This file is not intended for use with Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook 97. If errors occur within Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook 97, it is recommended that you reinstall the original application. If it is necessary to install WMS.EXE to restore Microsoft Mail Postoffice functionality, it is recommended that you reinstall Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook 97 after WMS.EXE install is complete.

AWFAX.EXE

Locate AWFAX.EXE on the Windows 98 CD ROM in Tools\OldWin95\Messaging directory. Launch the executable by double clicking the file or selecting the file and hitting Enter. Follow the prompts provided by the install. Setup will prompt you to reboot when setup is completed, select OK to allow setup to reboot and finalize settings. Add Microsoft Fax as a service in the MAPI Client Profile through the Mail and Fax Icon in Control Panel.

AWFAX.EXE installs Microsoft Fax. Microsoft Fax requires a Full MAPI Client in order to function, such as: Microsoft Exchange, Windows Messaging, Microsoft Exchange Server Client or Outlook 97. AWFAX.EXE is provided for Microsoft Technical Support (MTS) or Windows 95, OSR2 and OSR2.5 upgrade users to repair a pre-existing Microsoft Fax installation if it becomes corrupted. ("Pre-existing" requires that Microsoft Fax be fully functional prior to upgrading to Windows 98.) If Microsoft Fax files become corrupted, this will install updated versions of those files. AWFAX.EXE will add a Microsoft Fax Printer into the Printers Folder if one does not already exist. If At Work Fax was configured in Windows For Workgroups Microsoft Mail prior to upgrading to Windows 98, this file will remove the At Work Fax functionality in Microsoft Mail and remove the At Work Fax Icon in Control Panel. Microsoft Fax must be an added service to the MAPI Client Profile in order to function.

WARNING: This file does not contain any feature changes to Microsoft Fax. All known issues regarding Microsoft Fax will be applicable to this update.

In order for Microsoft Fax to answer an incoming call and receive a fax, the MAPI Client must be launched and running.

or what you could do is use the communication software that comes with the modem.. I have found that many customers have been happy with it when it is setup correctly.. if you don't have that software Condor's instructions work great too.
    "I bent my wookie" -Ralph wiggum

And if you don't like MSFax (hint: it was so bad they took it out of a normal install for Win98) Try Winfax Pro from Symantec. I've been using it for years.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

or get yourself Cheyenne Bitware..
    http://www.accpac.com/products/communication/bitware/
    Mr Miyagi, by any other name... (is this sig short enough?)

3fingersalute

MS Fax installed into WIN98=Problems!!!!!!!

At least everytime I've tried it!!!