Upgrade from H**L!

Thread: Upgrade from H**L!

Angry Upgrade from H**L!

Around the first of the month, I upgraded my system by installing an Amptron K7-817LM 266/DDR mobo, and a AMD 1 GHz processor. I fear, I might have made a huge mistake by choosing this mobo.

My system will freeze up, or lock up whenever I try to open Windows Media Player v7.1, Games, Limewire, while surfing the web, attempting to change color settings, or just when it feels like it. I've even had it lock up while running Scandisk.

I am not able to locate any Hardware Conflicts in Device Manager, or in System Information.

I've checked the mobo manufacture's website for similiar problems, updated mobo drivers, and BIOS updates and found nothing.

I've checked Microsoft Knowledge Base, and found nothing. Emailed the mobo manufacturer...and got nothing. :-/ And made contact with people on the newsgroups.

My system config is as follows;

Windows 98 (full) 4.10 (1998 build)
    192 MB PC-100 SDRAM
    ATI Xpert 2000, 32MB, AGP video card (I have used the driver from the CD that came with the card, and downloaded and installed the updated driver, with the same results).
    1 - 30 Gig, Western Digital HDD, 3 Partitions at FAT32
    1 - 10 Gig, Western Digital HDD, 1 Partition at FAT32
    Iomega CDRW
    Generic DVD
    U. S. Robotics, PCI, 56K modem. (I decided not to use the onboard modem that came with the board on the AMR slot. Can't stand Winmodems anyway).
    Onboard LAN is disabled.
    I am utilizing the onboard sound, with no apparent problems.

When I installed the mobo, I installed the ALI drivers that came with the board, with no problems. I'm thinking that the mobo is not playing nice nice with my video card, for some reason, I had a little difficulty in that area when running Windows Set Up.

I had orignally wanted to install Windows Me. But for some reason, this mobo doesn't wanna play nice nice with Windows Me. I could only get "Safe Mode", or a blank screen.

I've been running Defrag, and Scandisk daily. I have avoided the use of any applications that check the Registry for errors, and deletes them.

The system acted the same whether or not the virus scanner was installed and running, or uninstalled all together.

I've even threatened the machine with threats of sending it to my EX wife.

If anyone has experienced similiar problems, and found solutions, please let me know. I'm about ready to take the mobo out of the case, connect it to 220VAC, 3-phase, sit back, and enjoy the show, while installing a FIC board.
    I really am trying to understand your point of view, but I can't seem to stick my head that far up my A$$

First things that come to mind when encountering random failures and lockups:

Heating--CPU overheating?
    PowerSupply?
    RAM?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

yes, if the heatsink fitted properly, wot wattage is the power supply. hopefully it will be something u've overllooked and not the hardware..

Just a Thought..
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Hey Guys, Thanks for your response.

The heatsink, fan, and 300W power supply are brand new. Course, I've known brand new parts to be faulty, so thats worth a look see.

RAM? I thought about that, but didn't check it out, thats worth a look see too. Maybe I'll run Microscope on it and see what happens.

I'll let ya know what I find out.

Thanks again.
    I really am trying to understand your point of view, but I can't seem to stick my head that far up my A$$

you say it's a DDR motherboard, but in your list I dont see you using DDR memory. that could be the problem. or is that motherboard one that uses both DDR and SDRAM?

It may be overheating problems? do you have a way to monitor your temps? Anything over 60C is extremely hot, and probably would freeze up your system.

Other than that, everything seems like good quality stuff, I see no reason why your having the problems you are. good luck.

also, even though you've already done this a million times, lol, make sure all your cables, and cards are seated properly.

I swore I had the RAM in fine on my Abit KT7e, when I was first building it, sure enough, it wasn't in all the way, I slammed it in there, and system was back to normal.

Unhappy

[quote]Originally posted by drdoug99:
    also, even though you've already done this a million times, lol, make sure all your cables, and cards are seated properly.

I swore I had the RAM in fine on my Abit KT7e, when I was first building it, sure enough, it wasn't in all the way, I slammed it in there, and system was back to normal.

I never thought of that, it's definitely worth a look see. I know the processor is running around 127F...which, I don't like. I personally like these chips to operate as cool as I can get them.

Yes, I've checked the IDE cables 1 million and 1 times, but again, you never know, so I'll check again. I know when I first started the system, I had problems because the video card was not properly seated in the AGP slot. Pushed harder, and click, it was home.

I'm using 1 - 128MB Crucial PC-100 SDRAM
    and 1 - Generic 64MB PC-100 SDRAM

This particular mobo will accept both types of memory, but not both.

I'm considering replacing the mobo now, I do think it's part of the problem, as I'm hearing it's put out by PCChips, which does not have a good reputation by the techs. Anyone know anything about the Epox KL-133M-ATX, or the Shuttle AK-11-ATX mobos?

bishop

Try another video card, I had a similar problem with an ati AIW a couple of days ago. be sure to rip that video card out of the device manager from safe mode, other wise the drivers are still installed....try anything different, even a pci just to get some stability....

barring that, rip out that MB, if you still have problems, then its no the board....

bishop

BTW, I am not trying to insinuate that your vid card is bad, just incompatable with that board....

Smile

I never thought of that, it's definitely worth a look see. I know the processor is running around 127F...which, I don't like. I personally like these chips to operate as cool as I can get them.

I'm using 1 - 128MB Crucial PC-100 SDRAM
    and 1 - Generic 64MB PC-100 SDRAM

This particular mobo will accept both types of memory, but not both.

The CPU is not running all that bad at 127, one problem may be mixing the ram I would try a stick of pc-133 or DDR ram and maybe that will do the trick.

quote] I had orignally wanted to install Windows Me. But for some reason, this mobo doesn't wanna play nice nice with Windows Me. I could only get "Safe Mode", or a blank screen. [/quote]

Sure fire way to detect a hardware issue is a Windows install. If you don't get a clean install first time there is definately a hardware problem. Question is what.

First thing would be to remove all cards except video. Disconnect second HD and use just one stick
    of RAM. Install Windows. IF any problems try it with other stick of RAM. If still a problem try and copy Windows cabs to HD and install from HD.
    If still a problem you're down to either HD, Video, MB or PSU and although rare possibly even the CPU itself. Try the video or PSU next.

If you're successful with an install then just add parts until things go wrong. This is all a big pain in the butt but sometimes the only way.
    Finally check if any USB devices are causing the problems.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.