Random Shutdowns

Thread: Random Shutdowns

Question Random Shutdowns

The system after about 10 minutes will just turn off. Randomly...fully shutdown. I'm confused becuase I've seen this happen when a stick 'o' RAM or a board is loose, but everything is secure. Very wierd. So, I'm just wondering, what can cause a system to just instantaneously shutdown? Thanks all.
    Donegal Sixth Brigade
    Scrappin' clanners off the bottom of our mech's feet.

Lightbulb

Hmm. Had a couple of questions about the type of shutdown. Is this a system shutdown, where windows gracefully closes files on it's way to a full power down, or is this a instantaneous shutdown that goes from on to off in an instant?
    Does the system lose power (equivalent to the power switch being turned off?) or does it just reboot?

Could be a few things. I'm sure you've looked, but check your power saving settings. It could be that simple.
    Is your system overheating?
    Are all power cables connected securely?
    Have you checked your power supply output voltages?
    Have you recently added any new hardware?

Need a little more info on this one.

Regards
    Jim
    "You must bring us - An Shrubbery!"

Lightbulb

Hmm. Had a couple of questions about the type of shutdown. Is this a system shutdown, where windows gracefully closes files on it's way to a full power down, or is this a instantaneous shutdown that goes from on to off in an instant?
    Does the system lose power (equivalent to the power switch being turned off?) or does it just reboot?

Could be a few things. I'm sure you've looked, but check your power saving settings. It could be that simple.
    Is your system overheating?
    Are all power cables connected securely?
    Have you checked your power supply output voltages?
    Have you recently added any new hardware?

Need a little more info on this one.

Regards
    Jim

It's as if you just unplugged the bugger. Instant shutdown. No grace whatsoever.

My temp float around 125 CPU/98-100 MB (700 DURON w/ ASUS A7V Mobo)

I believe that's within the certain range of temp for both components (ASUS boards run hot anyway...) And I thought my ASUS probe would beep at me if my stuff was getting too hot...I could be wrong though.

Haven't checked the powersave options...I'll do so when I get home.

Cables and everything are connected securely.

I just recently added an ASUS Geforce 256 (32mb) vid card. Awsome. But, I noticed when I installed SmartDoctor (Asus vid card utility), it said the fan's RPM was 0...with it was blowing like the wind when I checked it.

I had the vid card in for a while, and nothing happened till a week later (a day ago) the system randomly takes a digger and just powers off.
    Donegal Sixth Brigade
    Scrappin' clanners off the bottom of our mech's feet.

Wink

Hmm. Ok, I have an ASUS mb also. Using a Duron 800Mhz. I've noticed that although the Bios reads the fan speed ok, the utilities within windows do not pick up on this information. Regardless, that shouldn't cause this.

Windows does have the capability to turn off the power, but I don't think that can happen while it has files open. So, I would look elsewhere.

For sure, check the settings for powersaving.
    Since you admitted to popping the top to put in your vid board, you might as well look again, just to make sure you didn't accidentally jostle a connector to the loose side.
    Could it be a bad PS? I've had one before. Check those voltages and see if any are on the edge.
    My mb also runs a bit hot, but I don't have shut off problems. Been thinking of adding another fan.
    This may sound really silly, but does the cover of your machine
    Power problems can really suck. It would be neat if you could correlate the outage with an action of some sort, like too many apps open, or when writing a CD, or when the screen saver cuts on. Have you tried gentle nudges to the PC to see if that triggers it? That would help identify a loose power connector.

Good luck!