[RESOLVED] 2 Beep Post Error.. Puter can't boot to windows

Thread: [RESOLVED] 2 Beep Post Error.. Puter can't boot to windows

lightNmagic

2 Beep Post Error.. Puter can't boot to windows

Hello again everybody. I come to you bearing another mind boggling problem. A friends computer is down and here is the problem. To begin with is a Packard Bell 486 DX2..Yeah, I know, I told him the same thing. The other day, his son was playing a game in WIN95 and shut the puter off in the middle of the game. Now, when the machine POSTS, there are two beeps, but no error code on the CRT. Completes it's POST and says, Press f1 to continue f2 to enter setup. Is you press f1, there is a disk error. Drive not ready or unrecognized. When booting from Win95 start disk, the chaning to C then to Windows directory and typing win, it say Himem.sys missing. In checking the WINDOWS folder, the file is there.. WD DIAG says the HDD is good and usable. I check the Bios/CMOS setup and everything jives just fine... This is bugging me since I know there are over 21000 post code errors for PC's. Can anyone give me an idea where to go next with my 2beep Packard Bell... !!

Thank you
    Sulli

Hi again...it sounds as thought the memory is bad. Change it and see what happens.
    "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible."-Albert Einstein

hi,if it is two short beeps it should be memory error,but my guess is if you boot with the floppy,that win95 have you make then you can try a sys.com C:and your pc should boot again
    Cheers Clauded

lightNmagic
    Hi mzcpu, Clauded,

Clauded, yes, it is a two short beep post error. Since the two of you mentioned memory first, I will pass that along to my buddy. I will then try the sys.com C: Thanks for the input. I will keep you posted.

hi, this may sound silly but have you tried pressing F2? i've had this happen on some of the older machines i've worked on. i've pressed f2, entered setup, then got out without making any changes and voila..it worked like a charm..go figure..

later, storm..
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

hi, this may sound silly but have you tried pressing F2? i've had this happen on some of the older machines i've worked on. i've pressed f2, entered setup, then got out without making any changes and voila..it worked like a charm..go figure..

later, storm..
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

lightNmagic
    Hey Storm, thanks for the input.. Trust me, when it comes to older machines and Packard Bells, NOTHING sounds silly. I will pass that along to my friend and keep posted.