How to Get IP Address from DOS Machine

Thread: How to Get IP Address from DOS Machine

Post How to Get IP Address from DOS Machine

Hello. Does anyone know what command I can use to get an IP address off of a DOS machine? Thanks!!

Typing IPCONFIG at the dos prompt should get you the IP/Subnet/Gateway information if its been set correctly.

What Archer said or if you're using Win95 type WINIPCFG
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHTUDE
    Hello. Does anyone know what command I can use to get an IP address off of a DOS machine? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by TSSTSS
    What Archer said or if you're using Win95 type WINIPCFG
    Well, if he hadn't figured it out in two years, I don't think your input is going to help.

I don't know that ipconfig and winipcfg were included in DOS. I think the route command was but I can't recall for certain.

Try route print (i.e. C:\>route print)

The IP address with a 32 bit netmask (255.255.255.255) that uses 127.0.0.1 as it's gateway is your IP address.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

I looked into some lists of DOS 6.22 commands and utilities, didn't see route listed. Thinking back (way back) I seem to recall we had to enter the TCP/IP details in a cfg file. I think it was called NET.CFG. That was for DOS PCs running Netware. I can't recall for certain though.

Since DOS didn't have any native networking, you'd have to have some additional software running. That software should have some method of setting and verifying your TCP/IP protocol stack details.

netstat -r will give you your routing table as well. Really depends on what software you're running though. If the PC in question is Win95 or later, you can use WINIPCFG, IPCONFIG, or ROUTE. If not we'd need to know more about what software you're running.
    If it's true that wherever you go, there you are: how come so many people look lost?

Quote Originally Posted by cisco2
    ...netstat -r will give you your routing table as well. Really depends on what software you're running though...
    The last column listed when running that command will let you know what IP(s) the system is using.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

dos... load MSD?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

simple

type in ipconfig then hit enter thats how I get my ip