Web browser for DOS? Does one exist? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Web browser for DOS? Does one exist?

Its all very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by shra View Post
    CP/M is not a big deal. Not exactly a big deal. There are bigger ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiki
    It's just that developing for CP/M is like developing a high velocity, accurate discarding sabot round for the Brown Bess musket

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    developing a high velocity, accurate discarding sabot round for the Brown Bess musket
    I can't tell you how many times I've wished someone would do that!

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    It's just that developing for CP/M is like developing a high velocity, accurate discarding sabot round for the Brown Bess musket
    Hey, I have a device on my desk that does HTTP server, Web client, NTP client, has DNS support, access to a FAT file system...
    I also included a primitive form of ASP for the web server and full timezone/DST support along with automatic skew correction for the RTC...
    Program: 71716 bytes (54.7% Full)
    (.text + .data + .bootloader)
    Data: 12981 bytes (79.2% Full)
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Back in '83 I had a Zorba!

Way better than Osbornes and Kaypros. It had two 5 1/4 Canon floppy drives that used a native 384 (!) KB format but could read and write virtually all popular diskette formats, and had a swift 4 MHz Zilog Z-80 processor paired with the full 64 KB of RAM the system could handle. Mine had an amber internal monitor; not one of those crappy green ones. It was bundled with Wordstar, Calcstar, Microsoft C Basic (compiled basic), a bit level editor; ZDDT (Zorba Dynamic Debugging Tool, which you had to have to patch the user areas of your software so they would run on your specific hardware), an assembly language programming tool, and much, much more. What a beast!

It even did graphics!

more photos at: http://www.zorba.z80.de/photos.htm

Served me well until I broke down and bought one of the original Mitsubishi-built Leading Edge computers.
    Last edited by slgrieb; November 14th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Showoff!!!!
    Sergeant WOTPP

I have a Spectrum Sinclair "compatible" in my basement. Runs the built-in BASIC and CP/M (56k or RAM available after loading). 3.5" 720k floppy...
    It still runs (or was running last time I checked).
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician View Post
    Showoff!!!!
    As for show off, there are a couple of links many probably know them long time, but still (for those who probably do not):

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/default.asp
    http://obsoletecomputermuseum.org/

If anyone still browses the internet through DOS, then I must say they are living dangerously and on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by cookin chef View Post
    If anyone still browses the internet through DOS, then I must say they are living dangerously and on the edge.
    Hardly. Those using DOS for internet surfing are - I would not insist on "mostly", but still at least many of them - hobbyists. If one has time (time means at least some income / money) for a hobby, then he / she is hardly living dangerously and on the edge.

People on the edge would probably use Linux, FreeBSD, other *nix systems - these systems give you an opportunity to make combinations letting you really reduce your expenses, letting really to make a bypass or realize a scenario when you meet your everyday needs by means of some alternative way. DOS is not ready for this now. FreeDOS people may do that in future, if they are to concentrate on creating an alternative OS for PC, but by now they are at much more modest business of making alternative DOS.