Can I create a larger DOS partition?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I create a larger DOS partition?

Post Can I create a larger DOS partition?

I work with a DOS program which is starting to have trouble with space.
    Is there a way to create a FAT16 partition that is larger than 2047Mb?
    I can create multiple partitions but this doesn't help.

There's only one way: Use a Disk Manager.
    Although I hate Disk Manager software, this is the only thing you can do. Go to your HDD manufacturer's webpage and download it.

Hope this helps!
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

You can create it but DOS won't Support it (as to my humble opinion).
    The only OS that will support it - Windows NT family.

It can Be created Either By Disk Administrator, Windows NT Setup - Or even by a third party Utils Such as PowerQuest's Partition Magic.

Hope I helped
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Check to see if there is a BIOS update for the system that supports greater than 2MB partitions. Just had to do that to a Gateway I was replacing hard drives in.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ben Franklin

Nop fraid not 16bit only supports 2Gb partitions.
    What app are you having problems with that needs all this space on one partiton?

I don't know if FreeDOS would support your app, but it appears to offer >8G LBA and 4G partitions.
    http://www.freedos.org/

If the program is filling up the drive with huge numbers of small files, this would only be a partial help as a 4G partition will have 64K clusters.

How version sensitive is the program? Would it run on a FAT32 partition under DOS7, or does it do some low level drive access?

The software is custom written for our customers. It utilises two partitions a 2Gb C: drive and a 2Gb D: drive. The D: drive is where I am having the problem. The software links into a phone system and the D: drive saves any phone numbers that call in and any additional info they associate with that customer. I have some customers with over 100,000 numbers saved, which is filling the partition and corrupts the software. I'm going to try some of your ideas, and I'll keep you informed, cheers ta...

I forgot to mention, the C: drive has to be Fat16. The D: drive can be anything at all, as long as DOS 6.22 can read it. It is used for staorage only and the software reads the information from here...

Unfortunately DOS 6.22 is not FAT32 aware. Can you do a test install of the software on another machine? If so, maybe try formatting it up and transferring the system from a DOS 7 boot disk made on a Win95B or 98 machine, keep C: FAT16 but make D: a FAT32 partition and see what the program does?

Platypus; if I understand you correct. I can do a test install. I've created a blank FAT16 disk and a blank FAT32 disk. The FAT16
    boots fine but, as suspected will not see the FAT32 disk. The other suggestions listed above have not worked.
    I have not tried the FREEDOS, but that would mean reloading over 800 national customers!! (but if need be so be it, they will all get this problem in time) and I've not tried Partition magic yet. I'm trying to get a trial or demo version.

Is it not possible to spread the database over two partitions somehow,with some extra programming maybe,putting A-M on one and N-Z on the other or am I being to simplistic ?

Andi, reprogramming the software is an option, but I was hoping for something a little simpler, as this is not that straight forward. I'm going to buy a copy of partition magic tomorrow and see if that will help.

You can reformat the drive with smaller clusters using format /z which will give you some space by cutting down on slack space but I don't know if that will help too much.

Originally posted by key:
    <STRONG>Platypus; if I understand you correct. I can do a test install. I've created a blank FAT16 disk and a blank FAT32 disk. The FAT16
    boots fine but, as suspected will not see the FAT32 disk. The other suggestions listed above have not worked.
    I have not tried the FREEDOS, but that would mean reloading over 800 national customers!! (but if need be so be it, they will all get this problem in time) and I've not tried Partition magic yet. I'm trying to get a trial or demo version.</STRONG>
    Did you use the sys c:\ command on the floppy to make the c:\ boot with the updated version of dos?
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!

Yes, as Joker1 indicates, you will have to use DOS 7 on the C: drive to run the program as well as from the floppy to partition the drives. You won't be able to use DOS 6.22 as it will not see the FAT32 partition as a DOS partition. Under DOS7, if the program just uses the normal DOS INT26 services to access the drive, these are FAT32 aware.

If you are booting to DOS7 off the hard drive, and it's the program that can't see D: then you'll have to try another alternative.

Happy hunting.