[RESOLVED] NT 4 and server replicating

Thread: [RESOLVED] NT 4 and server replicating

pmailloux

Resolved [RESOLVED] NT 4 and server replicating

Ok here is the issue, a client wants to have a second server setup to replicate totally the main server, so in the event something went bad in the main server this one could just take over (even if it meant unhooking it and putting it in the place of the current server, this client has a safe(building used to be a bank) in which he wants to store the server, (would also double as a backup for him) so I guess my question is, do any of you know what the best software for replicating would be, (he also has the hp jetdirect running on the main server controlling several printers, can this be replicated as well , if not its no big deal.

thanks, sorry so long.

why not just setup a RAID 5 array?
    sounds to me like it would probably be more efficient.
    #3 1951-2001

pmailloux

Red face

I agree, but this client wants a total computer to be able to take over in case of an emergency (bad processor, or whatever) and to still be standing in case of building fire, (they are putting it in a safe in the building)

A BDC is not an option? Or he wants the server to not run at all unless there is a problem? You could always set up the initial server and then Ghost the hard drive (make sure you Ghost the right drive, though). Then you will have to keep updating the backup server's hard drive to keep it current.

jfesler

Smile

Check into Symantec's replication solution, or Computer Associates.

Your Boss...

why not use clustering?
    A+ MCSE CCNA

MS clustering solution is the correct way to do this, however I was told that it does not work with Oracle. If you are running all MS Applications on the server, use the MS solution, it has server replication and automatic fail-over options and should be fairly reliable for what you want to use.

I use Vinca software "clustering" for server replication - and my advise is don't - I have no confidence in the software, however it is also not my decision to make, ce la vie. Also true "clustering" allows you to do load sharing, which is an invaluable tool f you have the hardware - true clustering should also auto failove in the event of any problems.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010