blinking cursor after POST. bad MBR?

Thread: blinking cursor after POST. bad MBR?

Post blinking cursor after POST. bad MBR?

Hey Hey,
    Had this one a few times. Computer with NT4 WS installed, speced as follows,
    Intel P3/733
    Intel D815eea mainboard.
    256mb RAM
    Intel 100+Nic
    20gb HDD, LS-120, 50x CDrom.
    Directly after the POST, all that apears is the blinking cursor in the top, left screen. I fix it with a re-install. If it were DOS, I'd use 'fdisk /mbr'. Does anyone know how to replace or repair a NT MBR without dumping the whole HDD? And I don't mean backing up, reinstalling and restoring backup. I've also tryed BOOTPART 2.2 for this, but it says I must unlock the drive. I do this and still get a big fat halt due to direct disk access. anyone?
    I'm just a little mushroom. always kept in the dark...

you can use fdisk /mbr in WinNT 4.

are you sure your partition is active ?

boot order in BIOS.

I have 2000 Intel 815 eea boards at work (similar specs to yours) no problem at all.

Make Sure HDD is set to Master - not Cable Select..

Make sure you create a recovery disk and you can do a repair with it without reinstalling
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

All of the above is cool, but I was not aware that fdisk could be used in this fashion with NT4. Thanks, I'll give it a try next time. IO've got heaps of these machines in the field too, but mine are at a university. you know how it goes. student bored, student break stuff, student laugh, tech crys....
    I'm just a little mushroom. always kept in the dark...

Ok first of all is C: FAT or NTFS??

Here's your main problem either the boot.ini, NTLDR, or NTDETECT.com is corrupt. When this happens rather that reinstalling go to another NT workstation format a disk and copy those files onto it, making sure to adjust the boot.ini so that it reflects your disk setup. Then boot off of this disk. This will get you back into your system.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin