Hard drive

Thread: Hard drive

Question Hard drive

I installed a 40 gig Western Digital Hard drive in my computer and now it won't boot to the fdd, or the cdrom. The system was built in 1997 and it is a Trademark computer. I haven't been able to find out anything about the mbd except that it has an Award bios. The system has been quirky for awhile and we had been having problems with it so I thought a new and bigger hard drive might help. I have unplugged the cdrom and the hdd and tried to boot to just the floppy and it won't even do that. Went into the bios and made sure it was set to boot to the floppy first then cdrom then hdd....
    Tried booting to a bootable cd and still not booting.
    The Trademark website does not have any info on this system or bios updates for the mbd. Any idea or suggestions would be helpful.

Did you by chance make sure the 1.44 drive is enabled in the bios?

For identifying Your motherboard use hwinfo utility from www.hwinfo.com .Tell us about results...

Did you install the WD bios? It may have changed your bios settings.

Dante has a point here. If you didn't install WDbios it won't see it either. LBA restrictions.Does it actually show up as a 40gig in your bios? Dumb question...did you use a setup disk to install the drive or just let the bios find it?

And the obvious just for the record....You did double check the data cables and power connections right?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

It's well-known issue with new HDD drives and old motherboards. You should update BIOS to latest possible one, but, anyway, many of old motherboards (espesially "noname" ones) doesn't support drives bigger than 32GB (some MB - even 8,4GB) due to BIOS limitations.

I had done all of the above, checked cables, jumper settings on the drive - I did boot up with the EZ Bios in the fdd the first time ---- before changing the settings in the bios which Messed up the bios -- So took the battery out of the mbd and let it sit a day and rebooted - still no floppy - removed all the cards and drive (except the fdd - put a boot disk in the floppy and it booted to the boot disk - added everything back one at a time and got the system to work -
    Then I went into the bios and changed the settings (like I should have done the first time) and booted to the EZ Bios disk and got the hdd installed ---
    Thank you all for your help

BluWys