unidentified flying motherboard

Thread: unidentified flying motherboard

Post unidentified flying motherboard

hi all,
    can anyone please help id this motherboard
    of mine... i can't get the bios code as i don't know where to attach the case switch... (no jumper info) so i can't boot it. the marking on the board says p4bt2 ver 1.0 near the bx 440 chipset.
    it has a tnt2 chip (on board graphics) and a yamaha xg chip. (on board sound) it has no agp slot???!!! 3 pci, 1 isa, 3 dimm slots. the dip switches give the appearence of going to 133mhz fsb... a sticker on the back says sn:c99e181418 jul.
    i can,t believe i can't find any info on this board, it's only 2 or 3 years old at most...

Try this little program it usually will do the trick

Good Luck

Unhappy

thanks for your reply anna... i'm not sure which program you had in mind but the thing is i can't boot this board, although i didn't want to use guess work on the front panel connections i had a go... i've tried every trick in the book i can think of... but although i now have the graphics chip, proccesor, and power fan on. (ie. i found the power on jumper connections.) thats as far as it's gone. no keyboard flash or floppy drive whir.
    what i need is someone to recognise the board and point me to a manual.
    btw. i forgot to say it's a slot 1, atx, taiwanese (err...from taiwan) board with an award bios. the chip says sn:171328131. but i don't know if that means anything.

If your able to get it to power up now go into bios and make sure the floppy is enabled and connected ok, then download CTBIOS to a bootable floppy that will show who made the board.

Sorry I cant be more help

Good Luck

Anna,unfortunately,he cann't get any responce from motherboard,do not saying even about booting from any of devices.
    If he could make a picture of his motherboard,it would be much more better to post that picture or link here.Then we can help him a bit more.

May, someone else have another idea?

Unhappy

this board was bought off a local market, by a friend... i thought it was understood that i needed a pentium 3 katmai (proccesor) for my msi 6119 ver 1.1 (no cu mine???!!!) but i'm affraid i've ended up with this motherboard... (i'll assume it was an innocent mistake, it feels like some demonicly possessed board to me... what the hell did i do to deserve this... aaarggg! i spent all day yesterday looking, me and my trusty webferret, to no avail. why couldn't they just put a bloody name on it???!!!) anyway looking at it, it might be 133mhz bus + coppermine capable. so i would give the msi the boot... but like i say now i got it to power on but only as far as the graphics chip, proccesor and power supply fan whizzing round... no post. no keyboard flash, or floppy l.e.d flash or video. i don't know what any of the few jumpers on it do... (i don't understand how i've got this far, yesterday it wouldn't even start up, when i did the same things, today.) i did assume it was dead... yesterday. in other words, i can't get to the bios screen.

btw also tried, moving cmos jumper no joy... removed battery... no joy (have set fsb and multiplyers, 100mhz and 3.5 respectively... (shame i know, waiting for p4 prices to drop here in the uk...) even faffed around with old isa video card no joy...

"i'm just going outside, i may be gone some time." (lost guy in the arctic... you tell me!)

Ruslan, I agree a pic would be nice the BX440 chipset is on so many boards arrrg.

maybe try peeking around in the intel support page and maybe you might notice the board is only suggestion I have left other than clear the cosmos and make sure the jumper is set back to normal and try to get it to boot up.

I have one other question do you here any beeping when you power it up?

Unhappy

thanks for helping so far,
    i don't know about a photo... i suppose i could borrow a camera from my sister... she does use them at her school. but really i spent hours looking (till 4 in the morning) and believe you me one board looks so much like another after that time. i looked at all the major manufacturers on the windrivers database... i assumed it was an asus starting with a "p" code. their site has some problem... (asus's) it won't let me search on it... but i went through all the ones i could get to.
    as far as beeping goes...
    i just took a gamble on where i think the speaker goes, i mean it is marked, just not in any credible way. you know i'm just not too sure... (i don't want a towering infeno on my hands!) anyway it didn't beep.
    i also tried "mobocop" on motherboards.org? no joy. (you know, you tell the database how many slots it has etc..) it identified a few bx's but not mine.
    i also took a look at the bios prefix index... p4 is like i first thought asus's (p4bt2 ver 1.0) can't remember where that was though.
    to refresh anybodies memory... the board is a bx 440, slot 1, 3 pci, 1 isa, no agp, onboard tnt2, onboard yamaha xg, onboard line in, out etc, onboard gameport, 2 usb,
    it has a connector which looks like the old vesa connection feature... called "future conn" (tv out?) there are 8 memory chips for the graphics card (onboard) the board is yellowish brown rather than green...the parrallel port is pink, the gameport is yellow. i think it's more recent than my m.s.i 6119. fsb 133mhz?
    the board marking near the chipset says (like i say...) p4bt2 ver 1.0.

"security alert!
    default block backdoor/subseven..."
    (norton personal firewall...ver 3.0)

P4BT2?...Hell, I thought I have already answered that question! But looks like my post once again was missed on the way to Windrivers.
    Never mind, I've found using seach engine,what that motherboard could be made by PowerColor company. May be, it can somehow help You.

Good luck!

Unhappy

i'll check anything to get this bugger (pardon my french...) going. it looks like you and me both found the same website. (i couldn't say what language it was in. taiwanese?) but whatever it is, it is, "power cooler" i.e the fan and heatsink assembly on the tnt2 chip... not the name of the motherboard.i'm off to check though...

Unhappy

did you ever play the 11th hour anna? "ooh! close but no cigar!" yep, it's similar, like i say they all start to look alike...instead of the black ports (parallel etc) one is pink one is yellow... the dimm slots (3) are on the right (exactly in the way of the removeable drive bay in there so i moved it up one... just under the cd rom, mid shelf of midi tower i'm using. (packardbell spheris case.) so is the bios chip and front panel jumper connectors (what the hell else are they called?) they are all on the right hand side... the power connector is next to the parrallel port etc. left hand side. apart from that identical. (ho, ho, ho.)

"oh, no they're all coming for us."
    (the last surviving m+m.)

Cool

well thanks you 2, i'm gonna leave it there in the belief that this is a power color p4bt2 ver 1.00... i took a second look at that taiwanese message thrown up by web ferret... (the 1 i saw yesterday. on my first net search!) power color it's got to be said... what a crap name so easy to get mixed up with power cooler (god alone knows the symbolism in that.) there site is absolutely bare... no reference to this board, but hey i'm still alive (just)... time to switch forums i guess.