Printer Problems

Thread: Printer Problems

Post Printer Problems

I am running Windows NT4.0 Workstation SP6a and I'm trying to install a HP Deskjet 672c with NT4 and Win9x drivers on the same machine (for network printing). When I am in the printer properties tab under sharing I click Windows 95 and it says "Alternate drivers cannot be installed. The printer driver is unknown."

Is it possible to install both sets of drivers? There is a workaround I can do on the client machines (both 9x), but having the drivers on the server would be better and less frustrating.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Exclamation

Drivers for your DeskJet are located here:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/dj672c_swen.html

If the printer is hooked up to a WinNT 4.0 machine, then those are the only drivers that need to be installed on that machine. For the Win9X machines, install only the proper drivers for those machines' OS.

There are also links on that webpage referenced above for Using Your Product, FAQ's, etc. Some good info there...

Let us know how it goes...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Thanks for the help. I guess the answer to my question is no. I just wanted to experiment with having the server hold the drivers, but I guess it won't work. On the clients I can capture the printer port to a virtual port (LPT2) and install drivers for that port. Works just as good I guess.

Sorry I missed this one first time around. If you will search the MS knowledgebase, there are several articles on doing this, and it is quite useful. I haven't needed to in some time, and can't remember the exact steps, but I have set up NT print servers with both NT and 9X drivers on them. Then they just pass them out as needed.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)