Trying to build a NT Gateway; having problems!

Thread: Trying to build a NT Gateway; having problems!

Arrow Trying to build a NT Gateway; having problems!

I just got DSL with a Static IP address at home. I am trying to use my home NT Server in order to act as a gateway and firewall (eventually a Exchange Server as well). I am able to connect the NT server to the internet, so I know the NIC and the IP address are correct for that portion of the system. For my internal addressing I am using 192.167.0.0 as the internal IP address. I can see and log into the other computers in the house. So I know that it is correct. I left the gateway blank on the internal NIC so that it would not conflict with the outside NIC. I have also set up the system to use DHCP and all the workstations use it. The workstations also see the server and are able to access files on the server.
    Now comes the problem, I try to access the web through one of the workstations and it dosen't work. Another issue is that the NT completely freezes up when my home MS ME workstation trys to access (my wifes does not freeze the NT, it just can't access the web). Nothing works and I have to shut the machine down.
    If you have any ideas of what I have possibly screwed up on my workstation to make the NT freeze and what I am missing on the NT to complete the gateway to the web.

Thanks
    Ted

Arrow

I have determined that I need a proxy program, which I am in the process of installing, I am still having freezing/lock up of the server whenever a client/workstation tries to go through the NT server. I am using NT 4.0 SP6A. Has anyone else seen this occur.
    Thanks
    Ted

What does your event log say after lock up?
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Arrow

It doesn't say anything. It's seems like every program freezes when this "freeze" ocurs. The only message I get is after the system is restarted, it says that it was shutdown improperly. I did try something else last night, which was to physically change the NIC cards. The internal NIC may have been bad. Due to time constraints, I was not able to fully test it.
    Thanks
    Ted

Bottom line is you need something to provide NAT services, whether that is something like Proxy Server or another prg. NAT service essentially turns your single external IP address provided to you by your DSL provider into multiple internal addresses. Proxy server kinda does this but getting a little cable/dsl router is the way to do it.

*Lin*
    I actually voted for John Kerry, before I voted against him.