NT Server 4.0 / IE

Thread: NT Server 4.0 / IE

Post NT Server 4.0 / IE

Just performed a clean install of NT Server 4.0 and SP6a. Immediately afterwards installed IE 5 (from SP6 disc) and cannot open IE. When double clicking on the IE icon it flashes as if to appear to be opening, then I'm back at my desktop. The uninstall feature for IE 5 is of course not working. Anyone come across the same type of occurence?

no, but i would try rerunning the setup again and see where it gets you.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Forgot to mention that prior to the WinNT installation I used the setup disks from Win2k Server to format and partition the hard drive so the primary partition could be greater than 2gigs. Then I installed WinNT Server 4.0 from CD-ROM. Seemed to work just fine except for the incident I mention initially.

But after formatting the hard drive using the NT4 CD-ROM (2gigi primamry partition) and doing the installation, everything worked fine.

Is there an alternative method s that the primary partition can be >2gig without problems? I was told once to GHOST the primary partition image of a server once, that was quickly running out of space on the primary partition, use the Win2kServer setup disks to create a partition >2gigs, then GHOST the image back onto the newly partioned drive. Seemed to work flawlessly. So I figured this way would work also-guess not.

Anyway, this is all a learning experience, and I thank you STORM for the reply.

the ghost method you mention will work, there's detailed post about it in here somewhere. the other way to format the drive with a > 2g partition is to put it in as a slave on another nt box make the partion format then put it back as master in the other machine then use the ghost method.

another thing you may want to check if your still having the explorer problem after you reload is task manager. when a program closes it in turn is suppose to close the registry keys so the process ends gracefully if it doesn't then the .exe may still be running as a process in the process tab.

if this is the case then when you try to execute the program next time around you can get the behavior your seeing. to relaunch the app you would have to go in to task manager and end the process.

now this will allow you to relaunch the app but it still means there's a problem with the way the program is operating. usually a reinstall with any or all patches, upgrades, etc. will correct the problem.

hope this helps
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

I don't recall the specific problems I had when I tried to format with 2K, then install NT4, but I had several unexplained issues once the OS was loaded. I took the easy way out and loaded 2K instead.

Hopefully someone else here can explain the differences between NTFS for NT4 and NT5. I am not sure, but I could swear I read something somewhere. I understand how 2k will do dynamic volumes and a few other things, but system partitions can't be dynamic, so I would presume that has nothing to do with this situation, but I feel a great explaination coming soon...

Unhappy

STORM:
    The IE problem did go away after reinstalling NT Server from CD-ROM w/2gig partition, and all subsequent SPs. Thank you for the additional info w/regards to putting drive in as slave on another NT box.

YA-KNOW:
    I, too, experienced unexplained issues when formatting with 2k, then installing NT4. There must be some corrolation with the two processes.

Anyone know what, if any, differences there are between NTFS for NT4 and NT5?

Thanks again for all the replies!!

Windows 2000 uses NTFS 5 which is not compatable with NT. I'm not sure of the differences other that NTFS 5 supports encription.

You can create up to a 4GB partition with NT during setup. I've used Partition Magic to expand it once it's converted into NTFS.