NTLDR missing...

Thread: NTLDR missing...

Red face NTLDR missing...

Okay folks heres the deal:
    Have a NT Server 4.0 box and was running perfectly until I got the hair-brained idea to install a legacy Creative Labs ISA soundcard (CT3600). I went to Creative's website, located drivers for NT, and installed the file "PnPISA.inf" from the NT cd-rom as required. After rebooting the box now gets no further than mem/processor count, SP description and then REBOOTS! How can I "undo" my last action...here's the clincher...I have no Emergency Repair Disk! I know, I know, tar and feather me later, but I really don't want to scrub it all and start anew, if possible.

Thanks!

if your getting the error that ntldr is missing try this to get your machine up and running again:

To copy NTLDR from the CD ROM, make the CD ROM your current drive and enter the command:

copy \i386\ntldr C:\

To copy NTLDR from floppy disk, insert Disk 2 in your disk drive and make that drive the current drive. Then enter the command:

expand ntldr.$ c:\ntldr
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Take out the card you installed and hope you can get to the LOAD LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. Then follow the screens.

It shouldn't be a big problem.
    I'd just run a repair NT4 from the NT4 CD remember you've to install the service pack again once you've done it.
    The hassle from this error would be if there was a problem with the hard disk which given the circumstance sounds unlikely.
    I think that you may have installed the wrong pnpisa.inf from the disk, there are about 3, one of my team did that recently. I dont have a CD to hand to check but I think the one you want is under a folder labelled x86.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

Talking

Scutterboy:

cool beans-it worked! Thanks a bunch!!