Need Help With IIS, Random Shut-Downs

Thread: Need Help With IIS, Random Shut-Downs

Wink Need Help With IIS, Random Shut-Downs

We have an Alpha Computer running WinNt 4 and IIS 4.0. Right after the Code-Red hit the world, our web server started acting erradic. The services pertaining to the web server would shut-down at random. We would have to manually restart the services to get our web page to show again. Any thoughts? Anti-Virus scans show nothing. I don't think they make a patch for Alphas. Help!!

-DigUm, CCNA, Net+, A+, APS

Virus must be favourite, what macine and virus list are you using? MS has the IiS patches, should not worry about the o/s.

Are you running SP6a? Is your machine serviced ok (I mean fans and stuff working all right?)

Any more info on o/s and services "shutting down" would assist, like, what does the event viewer log? Does w3srv log give any details?

Have you tried Windows Update: <a href="http://www.windowsupdate.com/" target="_blank">http://www.windowsupdate.com/</a> ?

I had a simalar problem which was fixed afer running all the critical update - Code red suspected.

Good Luck,

Mike.

We did install 6a. The WWW publishing service is the one going down at random. This is an Alpha Computer, we still haven't narrowed down the problem. Any more thoughts?

Yeah

What's going on in the Event Logs? It is very unusual for a service to stop without somewhere a log being recorded. Check event viewer and see what all three logs are saying at the same times. Check also you have got Event viewer logging all events

Can you let us know?

did you apply the code red patch after installing sp6a? one of my servers wasn't re-patched and it had the exact same problem you described. I reinstalled the patch and it cleared up after it restarted and it hasn't had the problem since.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/critical/q300972/download.asp" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/critical/q300972/download.asp</a>

Im having the exact same problem with our mailserver which also houses are webbased email services. No errors in the event log. Services show there running but no pages can be displayed. When i manually restart the services everything is fine.

This is after we got hit with the nimda virus. Just wanted to know if i can somehow have this service restart at specified times. I searched the forums and this is the only post i could find. Thanks for any help that can be given.

i suggest to use UNIX for IIS or mail server couse M$ is not for server

check the w3c log for iis and see if anything is making or trying to make any system calls. look for stuff thats trying to access a cmd prompt, see if any .js files are trying to run, if your using asp pages see if there is any unusal activity. scan inside your asp pages for any code that may contain reference to .js scripts that you know you didn't put there.

good luck
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"