[RESOLVED] NT4 Workstation Printer problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] NT4 Workstation Printer problems

Post NT4 Workstation Printer problems

I have a dual boot (NT4 Workstation SP5 and 98 SE) P2 machine that is on my home peer network. I have a K6-300 (win98) and a 486 (NT4 Workstation sp5/98 SE dual boot) on the network as well. My printer (Epson Stylus Color 740) is attached to my P2 and is shared throughout the network. Problem is that when i try to print from the 98 machine (K6-300) it will not see it. Also the P2 will ask or a password to look at the files under Explorer. The network is a 10/base-t peer TCP/IP. It is set up as a Workgroup. The two NT machines are able to share printers and files OK, but the 98 machine will not see the printer, nor will it see files on either NT machine. When i go to Explorer on the 98 machine and try to access either NT machine, I get a password box with
    //p2-450/IPC$ as the default username (not changeable) and it asks for a password. No matter what i type in it will not work. Here's the kicker - the 98 machine WILL share files and printer with the P2 when it is booted to 98 SE so i know its a NT configuration problem. Any ideas on what is going on here?

I have five questions:

1. Are there any device conflicts involving the Network adapters?
    2. What is the protocol you are using?
    3. If you are using NWLink IPX, what is the frame type specified?
    4. Have you set up users in the User Manager for the other machines on the P2?
    5. Finally, are all PCs on the same workgroup?

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNA
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

No, nothing is giving an error or otherwise out of the ordinary.

TCP/IP
    192.168.0.1 (p-450)
    192.168.0.2 (k6)
    192.168.0.3 (486)
    255.255.255.0 subnet

I dont use NWLink.

No, the only one in there is the Administrator beause noone else uses the machine but me (and its only in my house so security is not an issue).

yes, all PCs are on the HOME workgroup.

Urgefor

Just in case ya missed the other reply:

Check the guest account in the User Manager. If it is disabled, enable it. That should take care of that pesky password prompt. Hope this helps. Enjoy!!!

ShadowRider

I have a question. You have a class "C" network and you say that your subnet is 255.255.255.0. You might want to try actually subnetting your network and changing your subnet mask and IP addresses.

Try 255.255.255.240 subnet and
    192.168.1.17 (p-450)
    192.168.1.18 (k6)
    192.168.1.19 (486)

It would take a while to explain subnetting. I teach it and people scratch their heads often. Give it a try and see what happens.

For Win9x machines to be able to use the shared resources of an NT machine, the Win9x users must be authorized to do so on the NT machine. Whatever usernames and passwords you use when you log on to your Win9x machines have to be added to the NT User Manager - you will need to have more users than just "Administrator". NT shares its resources at the user level, so only certain users can have access across a network.

Steve

------------------
    Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho USA
    www.altoplanos.net
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Urgefor
    From Win95/98 Forum (same question)

[email protected]
    unregistered posted July 19, 1999 06:26 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a dual boot (NT4 Workstation SP5 and 98 SE) P2 machine that is on my home peer network. I have a K6-300 (win98) and a 486 (NT4 Workstation sp5/98 SE dual boot) on the network as well. My printer (Epson Stylus Color 740) is attached to my P2 and is shared throughout the network. Problem is that when i try to print from the 98 machine (K6-300) it will not see it. Also the P2 will ask or a password to look at the files under Explorer. The network is a 10/base-t peer TCP/IP. It is set up as a Workgroup. The two NT machines are able to share printers and files OK, but the 98 machine will not see the printer, nor will it see files on either NT machine. When i go to Explorer on the 98 machine and try to access either NT machine, I get a password box with
    //p2-450/IPC$ as the default username (not changeable) and it asks for a password. No matter what i type in it will not work. Here's the kicker - the 98 machine WILL share files and printer with the P2 when it is booted to 98 SE so i know its a NT configuration problem. Any ideas on what is going on here?
    No, nothing is giving an error or otherwise out of the ordinary.
    TCP/IP
    192.168.0.1 (p-450)
    192.168.0.2 (k6)
    192.168.0.3 (486)
    255.255.255.0 subnet

I dont use NWLink.

No, the only one in there is the Administrator beause noone else uses the machine but me (and its only in my house so security is not an issue).

yes, all PCs are on the HOME workgroup.

Urgefor
    unregistered posted July 20, 1999 03:24 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check the guest account in the User Manager. If it is disabled, enable it. That should take care of that pesky password prompt. Hope this helps. Enjoy!!!

[email protected]
    unregistered posted July 20, 1999 05:26 PM
    THANK YOU!!!!
    Finally someone figured out my problem.
    God you don't know how many headaches i have been through trying to figure that out.
    As they say it's usually the obvious thats wrong. Well at least now I know.
    Thank you VERY much again!!!
    ---------------------------------------------

Why make things seem more difficult than they actually are???