[RESOLVED] Drive mapping in Windows

Thread: [RESOLVED] Drive mapping in Windows

zypr

Resolved [RESOLVED] Drive mapping in Windows

Anybody with any thoughts on this one? I know it is a long one but I would appreciate any and all input.
    Why does windows choose a "random" drive to find a desired application. I have 3 almost identical servers running the same apps for multiple offices. One time a user from office 1 launches an app from server 1 with the drive letter "G", the next time the same user launches the same app instead of windows using server 1 and drive letter "G" it may use server 2 with drive letter "L" to run the same app.??? I understand that windows will look for the desired file or app and try to point to it, but isn't windows supposed to give you an idiot message saying that it could not find the file but it found an identical file and ask you if you wish to use that one? There hasn't been a pattern that I have been able to establish about this problem, it appears to be random. Is there a fix for this? Did I miss something? I have reconnect at logon disabled because my logon script breaks all connections and then reestablishes them on its own. If I have reconnect at logon enabled it will not allow the script to map the drives and everything gets disconnected. Has anybody seen this before? [email protected]

Is there any sort of WINS server / round robin DNS running on the system?

Random stabbing in the dark : The shortcut that launches the app, is that loaded as part of a profile? If you have PDC + BDCs with different versions of the same user profiles stored on them (unlikely) then you'll get something like this occuring? The worskstation would get the profile from whichever server it was told to by it's login validation server......
    What does this button do?