[RESOLVED] Error message c0000005

Thread: [RESOLVED] Error message c0000005

Lowland

Resolved [RESOLVED] Error message c0000005

Running Server 4 as BDC, Pack 6a, Office 2000, and getting access violation errors (good old Dr. Watson) referenced c0000005, at various physical locations all quite near to each other. Any ideas? Would like to avoid re-install - all those service packs and office 2000 again + re-configuring is enough to drive anyone mad.
    Thanks for reading this any way

Really hard to tell without knowing all the hardware details but I would try swapping some memory or something first.

Lowland

Thanks. I did a clean install of nt4server (formatted disk)on machine which was running nt4 ws. I checked out hardware compatibility and replaced all necessary drivers. The hard disk is partitionned - through NT4 SRV set-up.
    The machine was running win95 with no problems.
    The access violation errors come in IE5 and Word 2000 - although I have no reports of the rest of the Office2k suite causing errors, so I reckon I've got a driver problem, and the physical addresses seem to be close to where comctrl.dll is running. I cannot replace this when Windows is running (not even through virtual DOS) as it always seems to be used.
    U ? this could be the problem? I've not had a problem with this library before. Suggestions on how I can replace this .dll?

Politicians are like nappies (diapers?)- they need changed regularly and for exactly the same reason (WC)

------------------
    Any clanvestites? Or looking for Scotland sites?
    Come visit www.lowlandgroup.co.uk and see what we do - jump to our community site from us

Who Me

You could try a search on Microsoft Technet. I did this when good old Dr Watson gave me the exact error code when Microsoft works died. It gave about 10 pages possible causes, non of which applied to works but you might be more lucky.

------------------
    If you pay peanuts, you get Monkeys

Lowland

Thanks You
    I have already searched the unfathomable depths of MS (when they're on line)- no avail.
    Do you still have the response? You could mail it me if you do.

Regards to Salford

------------------
    Come visit www.lowlandgroup.co.uk and see what we do - jump to our community site from us

Hey Lowland. What is happening on the server when you get these access violation errors? What program is running at the time?

Lowland

Nighthand?????
    Things have been a bit more stable over the weekend, however, to answer your ? (and thank you for your reply!!!)......
    IE5.5 moving "Back" or "Forward" espeicially if current page is still loading (yeah, I know you should "Stop", but who can be bothered?)
    Word 2000. No discernable action consistently causes the crash, although Word docs launched from folder locations take a loooooong time to load. This is new!
    Thanks again.

------------------

Who Me

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lowland:

Thanks You
    I have already searched the unfathomable depths of MS (when they're on line)- no avail.
    Do you still have the response? You could mail it me if you do.

Regards to Salford

</font>
    Sorry for the delay.
    I've been looking for the responses but have not been able to find them. If I remember correctly though, most of the problems were with mail servers.

Salford says thank you...

------------------
    If you pay peanuts, you get Monkeys

Lowland

Mail servers.... I don't run a mail server on this BDC machine. I've got a sneaking suspicion that I have some unknown hardware on the machine that NT4 sp6a doesn't like - unless anyone else can suggest a driver that might be causing problems, I'll have to get the screwdriver out and check the boards.

Life is crap - but you get a free trip round the sun.

------------------

Lowland

Not so many crashes now, but did have blue screen of death which isolated "winsrv.dll" as the problem.
    I can't copy another version on top of this file, as it seems to be always in use. I have tried stopping as many services as possible.
    Any thoughts other than re-install --- pleeeeeease

------------------

Who Me

You could try running the 6a pack again if you have changed things about since you last ran it. Other than that, I feel a reinstall comming on.... sorry

My best to Dumfries
    ------------------
    They do though dont they though?!?!

[This message has been edited by Who Me (edited February 07, 2001).]

Lowland

I'm gonna monitor the situation 4 a while and see what else happens. Yes, it probably will mean a re-install!!!! But I don't have much will to live today - too much month left at the end of the money.

Thanks 4 your help.

Dumfries says hi to Salford

------------------

Who Me

At least this month aint as big as the others, but I know what you mean, specially after xmas!

Keep us posted on the problem.

------------------
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by
    reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of
    them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Lowland

Can but keep going! Have agreat week-end!

------------------