How do I clear my registry?

Thread: How do I clear my registry?

Post How do I clear my registry?

I added something to my registry, and ever since I've been having problems with a certain program. How can I clear it or delete what I added?

On boot hit F8 and choose Command prompt only...type CD\ then SCANREG /FIX
    (a strange feeling of deja vu.....nothin' to do with you Homicide00)

You can also use this utility: Regcleaner http://www.utilitygeek.com/software/registry/regcleaner.shtml
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

I would use a third-party utility or Windows Scanreg. Don't edit the registry using Regedit and start removing keys manually.

Just an advice..
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

[quote]Originally posted by AlienDyne:
    I would use a third-party utility or Windows Scanreg. Don't edit the registry using Regedit and start removing keys manually.

Just an advice..

Thats advice, but do you edit the registry with regedit? My cousin watched me do it once(he was 17) and then tried it at home and hosed his registry. hehe. I use regedit all the time...I love it when you can store favorite places in the registry.

TIP: If your going to delete using regedit, export every key before you delete it that way you can revert back to orginal settings by running the exported key.

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by LagMonster:

Thats advice, but do you edit the registry with regedit? My cousin watched me do it once(he was 17) and then tried it at home and hosed his registry. hehe. I use regedit all the time...I love it when you can store favorite places in the registry.

TIP: If your going to delete using regedit, export every key before you delete it that way you can revert back to orginal settings by running the exported key.

When I have a problem with the Registry first thing I do is to edit and manually try to fix it using Regedit. As you said, this is for advanced users and that's why I keep telling my customers and friends to use third-party software.

Even this kind of software can make things worse, most of the times it does the job pretty well.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.