Public folder

Thread: Public folder

Cool Public folder

I want to share a folder and i want people to get on this folder without give a username and password.
    This runs on a WinNT 4.0 Server.

How is this possible?

What kind of Workstations? NT, 9x?
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Smile

The workstations are WINNT 4.0

Share the folder and in permissions allow Everyone access.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it....... If it's broke, buy a new one

Thumbs down

But then I still have to give a username and password and that is not the bedoeling.

Make sure the user has a valid logon account to the NT Server. It sounds like the account you are using to logon to the workstation does not match the Server Accounts.

Cool

We have a huge network with Nt4 and Novell (novell is for the users / fileserver ... the bedoeling is that we want an extra fileserver running under NT4 .... the (stupid) users are logged in under Novell and NT (match password with novell) .. so every computer has its own user account (not roaming) ... when we share a folder, the user must give an username and password ... we want a kind of anonymous login... without changing the workstations.

Oh, this is the exact set up that was here when I arrived. Is the NT Server a Domain Controller? If so, join all of the computers to the domain and create user accounts on the domain for your users. This will fix your current issue, and also give you centralized administration. That's what I did, life is much easier. You won't have to go around to each machine to unlock accounts and other typical admin stuff anymore.

But if there is some reason you can't do this, there are parameters you can define with the NET USE command to supply a username, domain name, and password. Go to a command prompt and type NET USE /?
    That will give you the required syntax to supply all the info from the command line. Then just deploy it with your login script. Hope this helps.

Wink

the server is not a domain server .... we use novell... the only thing i wanna do is a file-server under NT ... when i used win9x the only thing i have to do is share the folder and everyone in the network has access to this folder.... when i share a folder under NT .. you must give usr+passw .... so the ONLY thing I want is share a folder under NT with the "rules" of win9x

I use Novell too. You CAN authenticate to both NDS and an NT domain. I have about 300 or so workstations doing it as we speak. But if your NT is just a Member Server, just use the NET USE command I spoke of in my previous post. You can deploy it with the system login script. Just create an account on the server like the Big Q stated, and have everyone connect through that account, that way you don't have to deal with various username and passwords. If that NT box is not a member of a domain, then it is going to look at its own SAM for authentication. If there is no account there you are out of luck.

Good luck.

now I'm not using Novell and haven't used in a while.. but providing that you setup the network for both NT and Novell networks you havea n option on the Novell client to log in the NT domain too (under advanced or more options..)

but that's not the point here since you said you are using a standalone server and not a domain..

simple ..

you must import the Accounts from the Novell server to the WinNT4 server..

make sure that all the users use the same useres and passwords on the novell and the NT.

share the directory with Usere group.
    (I don;'t recommend the use of the "everyone" group.._)